Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Argus C3 shutter speed escapement wan... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Swap Zone » Argus C3 shutter speed escapement wanted! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fredtheoyster
Tinkerer
Username: Fredtheoyster

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 02:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

Wondering if someone could help me - I'm a UK based enthusiast currently trying to restore an Argus C3. I thought it was going to be a nice easy one, but unfortunately one of the gears in the shutter speed escapement assembly has stripped a tooth and the unit needs replacing. Could anyone be kind enought to supply me with one? If the age of the camera is important in getting the right part, I can say the camera has 7 marked shutter speeds, a coated Cintar lens and the film reminder dial on the back. Many thanks! Jim

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 319

Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 03:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fred,

If no-one comes up with it here, it might be worth Googling the Argus Collectors Group - being largely US based, I suspect they have parts C3s coming out of their ears, whereas I've only ever seen two here in the UK - and getting in touch with them.

Alandove
Tinkerer
Username: Alandove

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I bought a C3 on eBay a couple of weeks ago, and discovered that the shutter was stuck at 1/300. Taking it apart for a CLA revealed that the shutter works weren't just gummed up, but actually stuck. Lighter fluid and some gentle prodding eventually released the escapement mechanism, and I saw that the little half-gear has a few bent teeth on the far end.

I have no idea how that happened, but suspect I wasn't the first to open the camera. This apppears to be a very uncommon problem - Googling it reveals nothing but this forum thread.

Jim, please post here if you eventually find a replacement gear and manage to install it. I'll do the same. I know these cameras are as common as dirt, but would still hate to pitch one in the trash if it's fixable. Alternatively, if your camera has stripped a different gear (not the half-gear, but maybe one of the round ones?), maybe we could swap parts.

Fredtheoyster
Tinkerer
Username: Fredtheoyster

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 05:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alan,

Well that's two instances of the problem now, but Googling will still only produce this thread!!!

Haven't looked at the camera for a while, just resurrecting the thread here! I think the half gear was intact and the tooth had broken off the smaller one it drives.

I can check that out if you like. I can't do very much with the camera as it is, so I would be prepared to let the escapement go to you if you want it, please PM me if this is of interest.

Cheers,
Jim

Nucleobyte
Tinkerer
Username: Nucleobyte

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got finished taking apart a C3 I bought on a certain large auction site described as "shutter works perfectly" only to find the escapement doesn't wind down past half-way and there are several bent teeth on the first large gear in the series. Once it finishes de-rusting I'm going to try straightening the teeth. There must be some way these get caught up and forced to bend gear teeth.

Alandove
Tinkerer
Username: Alandove

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nucleobyte, don't force it too much or you'll strip the gears that mesh with that one. They're brass, so I think they're pretty easy to mess up. I just sent a PM to Fredtheoyster to see if I can acquire his escapement. Perhaps we can all swap gears if different ones are stripped.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration