Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Wanted Bessamatic Synchro Compur X S... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Swap Zone » Wanted Bessamatic Synchro Compur X Spring #824 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 68

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 02:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm looking for a Spring number 824 which was missing in a Synchro Compur-X shutter (Deckel nr. CS-1112-444) of a Voigtländer Bessamatic CS.

Probably i could also use a Spring out of i.e. another lens with a spring diaphragma but an original spring is of course the best :-)

Have some spare parts from other cameras so I'm willing to swap.

A photo of the place in the shutter were that spring is missing can be seen here :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29504544@N08/5315475310/

Ron_g
Tinkerer
Username: Ron_g

Post Number: 60

Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 03:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have one Bessamatic parts camera although it is not the "CS" model.Your link does not work.I can look it up if you cannot fix your link.You are welcome to the part if I have it.Ron G

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 69

Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 04:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your offer !
I know the quicklinks don't work on this forum because only part of it gets converted but if you copy the whole line (including the black characters) and paste that as address in a new page it opens without a problem.

Regards,
Hans

Ron_g
Tinkerer

Post Number: 61

Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are so proficient that I never dreamed that I would have to do anything other than click on the link,lazy sot that I am:-))
I have had several of those shutters apart and have never seen one with that spring in it and upon investigating the service literature have seen it declared that that spring is not used.
It has been a while since I found that info and I am getting older every day (thankfully) so I may be spot on or I may be missing something but I no longer look for that spring while servicing that shutter.If I needed it I don't know where I would look either.Sorry that I cannot be more help to you.If that was a common part in every shutter I certainly would have one for you.Ron G

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 70

Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that info Ron ! Maybe you are right and that spring is not used in every type of the Compur-X shutters. Problem is that i got that Voigtländer Bessamatic CS with a non working shutter (somebody poured oil in it) and as this is my first Bessamatic i have no experience with SLR Compur shutters and am still figuring out the exact functioning of it. I have a Compur service manual and there the type is described as compatable with the CN-1110-035. You can see that spring (part# 824) on Table 3 Figure 2 of that shutter. That's why i thought it was missing.
I shall try the shutter/lens without that spring and see what happens.

Thanks again for helping out !

Ron_g
Tinkerer

Post Number: 62

Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 04:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I looked last night for quite a while trying to find that info again but could not.I have some printed service info that I will look at today.
I am also working on an Retina Reflex using the same shutter and have the service manual to that and maybe that is where I read it.
I save springs like most of us do and made the spring that you are questioning which did not change anything about the performance of the shutter.
I bought that CD by Bernard Mecking on the repair of the Bessamatic and it was a great help to me.The CD is always listed on ebay for very little money.Of course I would learn a lot more than you would but it is a very good reference with great pics and documentation.It does not cover everything however but I am sure that you would have no problem in the questionable areas.
If you would like the CD and they will not ship to you let me know.I would be priveledged to assist you in any way that I can,I have had those shutters apart and reassembled many many times and although I might not have learned something every time I probably did most times and I still have much more to learn.I also document each camera with pics like you do so anything that you might need to look at I probably have it.Ron G

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 72

Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ron,

Encouraged by your remark that that Spring is maybe not necessary for the Bessamatic i today assembled the shutter again. The shutter/lens combination works without a flaw so it indeed seems that Spring #824 is not needed.

The assembled Shutter/Lens combination can be seen here.

Ron, thanks again for your effort to look into this case and your tip about that CD of Bernard Mecking !

Ron_g
Tinkerer

Post Number: 64

Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All I can say is "wow",that shutter looks brand new.If I ever find out where I read that the spring was unused in that shutter application I will post it here.I spent quite a while today looking for it with no luck.I recall that I saw it right after I fabricated the spring for mine that did not help appreciably.I should have you repair my shutters because yours look so good.I am glad that I could help.Ron G

Ron_g
Tinkerer

Post Number: 65

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 06:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found it!!
The text is in a repair manual that Mike Butkus has for sale and I will give you the link to it.
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/voigtlander_pdf/voigtlander_repair.htm
The text for reference is at the end of the article in the Bessamatic under "reassembly hints" and declares that the "Front Rings Are Not Spring Loaded".You can also buy the printed manual that is very good quality from Nikon Dave on ebay.He is a big seller and a very good source of quality camera parts and accessories.Ron G

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 75

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Ron,
Thanks a lot ! That's very good information, now i don't have to worry about that spring.
In the meantime i ordered the Repair CD from Bernard Mecking. As you said it's cheap and i hope to find further information about how to adjust the Bessamatic.
I also tried the Butkus link some weeks ago but cannot find a hyperlink to the PDF on that page. Probably mr.Butkus forgot that or has removed it.

Thanks a lot Ron, you've been a real help and welcome as a Flickr member , i just saw your posting there !

Ron_g
Tinkerer

Post Number: 66

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just tried to order it and could not either.I had to bug him to scan it for me and he may have sent me the download links in an email but I lost all of my inbox a while ago so cannot check on it for you.I have the two .PDF files on my harddrive however.Let me try to contact Mike and see whats up for you.As I said,I have the files and will share them with you personally but do not want to do that if they are still available from Mike.He is performing a service that we all benefit from and I will not do anything behind his back that can hurt him in any way.Again,if you cannot get them through him then we will deal with that when the time comes.
I enjoy and benefit from your posts on Flickr as well,it does me good to see how a competant repairman works.Ron G

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration