Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Need front glass for Nikon 180mm F2.8... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Swap Zone » Need front glass for Nikon 180mm F2.8 ED AIS « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ngocrebel
Tinkerer
Username: Ngocrebel

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought that good used lens. Everything find except the front glass beaten up. If someone have a spare one please share. Thanks

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 130

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How beaten up is it? Have you shot with it yet?

I ask because I used to own a 180mm f/2.8 ED that I bought from a press photographer. He had beaten the crap out of that lens and it had a big gouge taken out of the front element. But you know what? That was one of the sharpest, nicest lenses I've ever owned. So my advice is to take it out and shoot with it and see what your photos look like. You might not really need a replacement front element.

Ngocrebel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Cooltouch, Thanks for the advice.

My lens is tatooed with Time LA so it was press own also.
The front glass has a lot of scratch and coating damage which make it has a dull look. I also can see it by look through from the back. However there is no breaking or chiping of glass. It so ugly so didn't bother to take photo with it. But if you say so, I will take the picture and compare with the 70-200 VRII to see how it perform.

Thanks

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 111

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unless you shoot it into the sun, you should be able to get some decent use out of it. I've got a camera that the front elements have shock damage from a drop, and it looks like little fairies flying around between the first two elements. But as long as I don't point it into the sun, it's fine. And some of my other lenses with junk floating around inside seem to have no problem with making a good photo. I think the way that light gets blended together as it passes through the various elements eliminates a lot of what we see as imperfections, or dust.

Now, the condition of the surface on the rear element is critical, because the light is finally free of the constrictions of the lens, and can go where it is aimed, so dust, fungus, and chips on the rear element will always show up as diffracted/scattered light.

PF

Ngocrebel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Cooltouch and Br1078lum,

You guys make me feel better about the lens. I did test shots and didn't notice anything about those scratchs on the photos. As I said, all glasses are in perfection condition except front surface of front glass, it doesn't have the glossy look like new lens.

I'll make more shot at different light condition to see how it perform.

Thanks again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration