Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

I just need a little screw -- Bessa R Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Swap Zone » I just need a little screw -- Bessa R « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 101

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The photo says it all. One of the screws on the top cap of my Bessa R somehow came out and is lost forever. I know the Bessa R isn't technically a classic camera (in terms of age), but its definitely the spirit of the classics.
Back top plate of Bessa R
Anyone know where I could locate another screw? Emails to Cosina-Voigtlander and Stephen Gandy at CameraQuest have gone unanswered. I'm not sure what the dimensions are for the missing screw, but it might be similar to the remaining screw (I'll take measurements if it seems promising).

Thanks to all.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 328

Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, this is a little bit far fetched but here you can find an exploded view of the Epson R-D1 which shares a certain number of parts with the Bessa R.
Screws in question might be part #142 - but I may be misreading the drawing.
http://cameraquest.com/Epson-R-D1/_r-d1/r-d1_14.htm
Scoll down to "General components"

Maybe you're lucky.
Otherwise a watch maker should be able to determine diameter and pitch. They are most probably metric.

Sorry, not much, I know.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 250

Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most of the screws on cameras are either 1.4mm, 1.7mm, or 2mm. Just from looking at your photo and knowing most top covers, it is most likely 1.7mm panhead. Easily available at most hobby shops or camera repair shops if they are still around in your area.
Bill

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 102

Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Msiegel and Brcamera.

The hobby shop in my area is often disappointing when searching for repair materials and tools. This was no exception. They do have some small non-metric screws, but nothing I could use.

I checked into the R-D1 drawing and noticed there were some websites that sell spare parts for this camera. The websites mentioned at CameraQuest are both in Germany, but I later found a US site that sells the screws in question. I still don't know if they're exactly what I need, but I'll order a few and take a chance.

By the way, the US website is PartSimple.com

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 251

Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you need the screw for your camera, PM me and I can help. I have metric screws in every size and shape.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration