Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

WTB: Rolleiflex Automat K4B shutter g... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Swap Zone » WTB: Rolleiflex Automat K4B shutter guard « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 107

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 04:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My 'new' toy is missing the shutter button guard. You know, the cup-like thing that swings over the shutter release button to prevent it from accidentally being pressed.

as seen on the lower left of the shutter in this picture
http://www.rolleiclub.com/cameras/tlr/im/005A_Rolleiflex_Automat_1939-1949.jpg

If anyone has one lying around they're not using let me know. :-)

Regards,
Rick

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 261

Posted on Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 03:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it have to be like one of these ?

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 113

Posted on Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hallo Hans,

Yes the top two samples in your photo appear to be precisely what I'd need.

My K4B does not have the later mushroom-style shutter button, but a pin that is covered completely by the guard.

Regards,
Rick

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 262

Posted on Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick,

You can have the top one. It shows signs of use but guess that fits well with a Rolleiflex damaged in (re-enactment) battle.

Don't know if i have your address but otherwise send me an e-mail with it.

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 114

Posted on Monday, August 05, 2013 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awesome Hans,

Thank you. Email on the way.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 263

Posted on Monday, August 05, 2013 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick,

Just posted it. Should be at your place this week.
Hope it fits !

Cheers,

Hans

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 116

Posted on Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It arrived today. Thanks Hans!

Now, the next question is: how do I take off the pin/screw head that holds the guard into place? Does it unscrew? Do I need to heat it and push it out from the inside?

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 627

Posted on Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hans has those too, Rick.

PF

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 264

Posted on Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know Rick.
Never had the type you have into my hands and also dont have the service manual for it.

Can you post a detail image of that pin/screw ?

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 118

Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 01:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have a picture at hand of the actual camera, but you can see it well enough in this (huge) photo:

http://goinganalogue.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/img_2308.jpg

The 'screw' that holds the guard in position has a smooth head, nothing to grab onto to unscrew it. And I have no idea if it's actually threaded.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 266

Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 04:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But, Rick, do i understand correctly that this "screw" is still present on your Rolleiflex ?

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 119

Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 04:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. It is just that the old shutter button guard has broken off close to the "screw" or hub screw or pin head...or whatever it's called.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 287

Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shaft with the mushroom head holding the guard doesn't unscrew. It is staked onto the front cover of the camera from the back.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 267

Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick,
Just had a look at my Rolleiflex stash. The only thing that would remotely fit to the guard are these pins. However, the head looks slightly different from the one on the image you linked to.

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 121

Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, any ideas?
I have removed the front cover and looking at it from the rear you can tell the tube the whole thing sits on has been welded onto the front cover. There is a little central hole that appears to be filled with wax or glue.

Should I attempt to punch out the mushroom head from the back?

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 122

Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a close-up of what's currently there

rolleipart

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 268

Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, if i see it right the mushroom head is fixed to a tube and the tube is welded to the frontcover ?

If that's the case it might be worth trying to punch the mushroom head out of the tube. You could try to use the remnants of the guard for counter grip.

Rick, how about moving this posting to the Maintenance and Repair section ? Might get more attention there.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration