Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Your vintage dream camera. If you cou... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Your vintage dream camera. If you could have one,... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer
Username: Olly_ympus

Post Number: 22

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

....and ONLY one vintage 35mm camera.
What would you choose, and why?
(I ask because I'm looking for a cool usable and practical antique 35mm. 35 simply because of the availability of film.)

Turnergande
Tinkerer
Username: Turnergande

Post Number: 24

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tie between Nikon F & Nikon F2 in the 35mm SLR type. Attributes: quality, reliability, durability. Nikon F2 gets my nod as a better user but the Nikon F looks better in my humble opinion. Now let's here from the Pentax, Canon, Minolta, Olympus, Leica etc. folks. Actually any of maybe 20 top models of 35mm SLR & 35mm rangefinder will be a great choice.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 70

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My vote would be for the Leica M3, very durable solid and easy to cla. Don

F16sunshyn
Tinkerer
Username: F16sunshyn

Post Number: 15

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pentax Spotmatic original in black. I just love how it looks and how the shutter sounds. Mine has the perfect amount of brassing to make it look like a legend. So many great lenses from many great manufacturers. Maybe some of the later Spotmatics where better but by how much I don't know?

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I of course LOVE my Olympus cameras and all their accessories. :-)
But what about the earliest 35mm cameras made? Such as the Argus, The Kodak 35, Robot and others.
Which do you think was (and is) the most reliable?

Turnergande
Tinkerer
Username: Turnergande

Post Number: 25

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As much as I'd like to be patriotic, I can't think of many 35mm American cameras that get rave reviews or much actual 'practical' use today. If you want older, say 1930 technology then the early Leica III series is one way to go. Then there's the Contax II. Good folding 35mm cameras include Retina I, II & III series (well into the 1950's now) but I find them a bit trickier to use. I think once you own a classic camera you will be hard pressed not to buy more, and more. My favorite 'fixed lens' 35mm rangefinder from the 50's is the Konica III series; great optics, high build quality, still repairable.

Rj_
Tinkerer
Username: Rj_

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reading this post, I suddenly feel guilty.

http://www.luxcamera.co.uk/pages/Antiqua/London%20in%20love/IIIf.htm

http://www.luxcamera.co.uk/pages/Antiqua/The%20Plaubel%20Makina.htm

http://www.luxcamera.co.uk/pages/Antiqua/Ross%20Ensign.htm

http://www.luxcamera.co.uk/pages/Pearl/The%20Konica%20Pearl%20II.htm

http://www.luxcamera.co.uk/pages/Antiqua/Corfield/Periflex.htm

http://www.luxcamera.co.uk/pages/Antiqua/Contax%20III/IIIa.htm

http://www.luxcamera.co.uk/pages/Antiqua/Kiev%20IVa/IVa.htm

I think I've been a little spoilt for choice although in earnestness, I do try and use every single one in cycles.

In answer to Olly's question, it's the Leica IIIf which I seem to find myself constantly returning to; reason being, it is very compact and palm sized and has proven its reliability to me over the past few years of travelling around the world.

Kind regards,

RJ

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 26

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No need to feel guilty. The Leica is a beautiful piece of work. I like the old retro styled ones better than the modern models. They have much more character. I'm leaning toward getting one myself as my antique user camera.

Rj_
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Olly,

if you do decide on an LTM vintage Leica model, it will need a decent new service or a recent service history. There are a few eccentricities with the camera (such as the film loading, however this enables a shorter camera height compared to back loaded film cameras).

Best of luck.

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 28

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the tips Rj.
Here's another fine mess I've gotten myself into,....

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 67

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My biased stock answer: if you want a great classic that is entirely usable, practical, easy to find lenses for and easy to keep running, it's hard to beat a Nikon F. For the purist, an F with a plain prism, for the ultra-purist with some cash to burn, a black one, otherwise a Photomic FTn with a good meter head, which can be recalibrated for silver oxide cells, and you'll even get good slides.

I have three of them. :-)

I love the old Leicas as well, and still have and occasionally use a IIIb, but it is somewhat handicapped for everyday use by high lens prices, and no flash sync. If you expect to use it routinely, best hold out for one new enough at least to support flash.

Jayd
Tinkerer
Username: Jayd

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can beat the Nikon F with Topcon RE Super AKA Super D and the slightly later Super DM. The Topcon has better metering system and more useability.here are some sites with information:http://www.vermontel.net/~wsalati/CasualCollector/topcon.htm
http://www003.upp.so-net.ne.jp/Topconclub/fpslr2.htm
Take a look at the Topcon and make your own choice.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 30

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Retina IIIC. I like rangefinders, it has some really nice lenses and I wouldn't be worried about being robbed every time I took it out of the house.

Tcollopy
Tinkerer
Username: Tcollopy

Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I own several Pentax Spotmatic II's and love them for the operability. I have the all black version, and love the look. I also have a Contax 137MD, and really have fun with it; best part is it's light, not bulky, with autowinder that runs on AA batteries.

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why has no one thought of the Canon A1? Just about every photographic specification any enthusiast could want! I've had mine since year dot, and results are terrific. Only needs to have a mechanical shutter mechanism to be just about perfect, but that is my own little foible

Rj_
Tinkerer

Post Number: 46

Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Barnum,

Welcome to the forum.

It is not that 'no one has thought of the Canon A1'.

Generally, the spirit of the 'vintage' camera extends to the mechanical and classical camera, characterised by the absence of electronics; battery dependence, and modern designs.

No doubt your thoughts are correct, as time shifts by, the era of the 1980's SLR will doubtlessly be considered 'vintage'. If you consider the 'Nikon F', it's introduction date of 1959, is striking, comparing the design against a camera like a Leica IIIf, which was produced around 4 years earlier.

The shift towards the use of plastics, electronic shutters, battery LED gadget exposure meters, generally contributes to a degree of indifference for classic or vintage camera users. Personally I have fond recollections of the Canon A-1, which I used at photography college before university.

Yet somehow, compared to the vast legacy of classical cameras, I find myself hesitant to think of it as 'classic' or 'vintage'. It would be interesting to know other forum users thoughts, and my own views may be too narrow in this kind of classification.

Bear in mind, that the majority of classical cameras do not have everything that any enthusiast could want: most are deficient in one area or another, yet their on-going relevance for photographers has something to do with the je ne sais quoi and mystical appeal of the design virtues which creates a 'classic'

Just some thoughts and enjoy your Canon.

Kind regards,

RJ

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 193

Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No matter what criteria you use to define a classic camera, the Canon A-1 has got to be included in any list of classic cameras. To paraphrase Rj's words - it has an ongoing relevance and has design virtues that still allow me to occasionally use one to fulfill commission work.

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear RJ,
My mistake. Should I go and stand in the corner, or is a new boy allowed one gaffe?
Regards,
Barnum

Rj_
Tinkerer

Post Number: 50

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Barnum,

I was just wondering what others thought about plastic SLR's and pop classic cameras of the 80's.... no intention to hold an ultra-conservative role in defining the 'classic' or 'vintage' age of cameras as mutually exclusive with 1980's SLRs.

For instance - the 70's Porsche inspired design classic - the Contax RTS, seems to fit in with the 'classic design' and 'classical values', except for its complete battery dependence.

Moving forward to the RTSII, mark II, a mechnical back up shutter was added, and seems to fit the criteria better. However, it is then already moving into the 1980's design SLRs, by which point, the Contax RTSIII might as well fit the designation of a 'classic' camera.

Except that it is as far removed from being 'vintage' and is still as technologically advanced as a camera design can be for film purposes, and most would struggle to consider the Contax RTSIII as fitting the description of a classic camera.

I suppose the role of the 1980's 35mm pentaprism SLR in the classic camera history isn't that clear to me. The SLR of the 1/4 plate (Thornton Pickard, Ross Soho Reflex or Buschman types); the Rolleiflex SL66 and the Hasselblad SWC's left on the lunar surface, as well as all the twin lens reflexes seem to have no difficulty here. Yet when we arrive at the 1980's penchant for plastic and often brightly coloured plastic cameras, I hesitate.

The digital era seems to have shunted the 35mm SLR into the annals of history, and most 35mm SLR's neither seem to belong to the 'high era' of mechanical engineering (such as the Wrayflex or Corfield Periflex) nor the high design philosophy of the medium format SLR's listed above.

I guess I am wondering where the bright red Konica 'Pop' and similar 1980's popular 'classics' belong. They seem to have a bridge category of their own; representatives of the 1980's, a time when plastic and fantastic seem to have coalesced as forms for the 'pop classic'.

Apologies for the loose associations on this theme - it just fascinates me to consider what is in the making of a 'classic' that's all.

Sorry too if I come across as dogmatic.

Kind regards,

RJ

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 83

Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 07:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's an interesting question. I think eventually they'll all be classics just due to age, but the term is arbitrary and a little ambiguous. To be counted a classic something usually has to have some quality that is both gone from current offerings and worth being nostalgic for. "Vintage" might be a less flexible and more age-specific term, as is "antique" in other areas. A superb or distinctive camera such as the Contax RTS or the first Polaroid SX-70 might be thought an instant classic, but not vintage until it reaches a certain age. There's a distinction between classic and antique cars, for example, where the "antique" designation is pretty much automatic with age, but not every antique is a classic.

There's obviously some flexibility already. Many people, for example, sneak the Olympus XA family into the classic category, and early Minolta Maxxums have begun to show up here with some regularity without being shot down in flames.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 93

Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Leicaflex original , because of the super bright viewfinder and focus area like the rf m3. with a set of top grade leica lenses including noctalux F1, 21mm, 80mm 180. Oh well I can at least dream. Don

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 05:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello RJ!
Guess I'm just an old fuddy-duddy by nature, but I like the feel of metal cameras. Favourites
of mine include early Exactas, to the extent that the one on display here is where it is a lot of trouble to get at. Before that I had to have a fondle of it every day. God that's a sad state to get into!
Barnum

Frankl
Tinkerer
Username: Frankl

Post Number: 9

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,
My old, black Canon FTBn keeps on ticking since I bought it new in 1973. Mechanical "everything", except the meter. There are a "ton" of FD mount lenses available, making it very usable for just about any situation. Rugged metal construction, like the F1 and can be found for not too many $$$.... I like to think of it as a "classic" rather than an antique though... I have "casted" my vote... Have a GREAT day!
Frank

Beaugrand®™©
Tinkerer
Username: Beaugrand®™©

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Only one?
Canon F1, I think. Mechanical shutter, rugged, takes the FD lenses, used by pros; trouble is finding one that doesn't appear to have been rolled down the side of a mountain.
Second choice: Minolta SRT 101. I have two, use hearing aid zinc cells 'cos they're cheap (remove cell when camera is stored, tape over holes to make it last longer).
Third choice: Any other Canon that takes FD lenses: TLb, FTb, TX,whatever.
Yes,I have an A1 and an AE1.
Fourth: Any variation of the Nikon F; I avoid Nikons because they're overpriced. Ditto Leicas.
Yes, yes, fine cameras, but I'm on a shoestring here, I can get Canon, Minolta, Konica, Olympus, Pentax cameras (and their rebadged siblings) for next to nothing, but Nikons and Leicas are still too expensive.
Fifth: Argus C3 "Brick."
Completely manual operation, durable and reliable, adequate lenses, and I won't be heartbroken if it sinks to the bottom of the pond (I just reach into the closet and dust off another one...)

Filmguy
Tinkerer
Username: Filmguy

Post Number: 18

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>...as time shifts by, the era of the 1980's SLR will doubtlessly be considered 'vintage'.

I already consider that era to be vintage. During the last two years of regular street shooting, I haven't seen even one other person using a chrome SLR from the early/mid-'80s. As for a dream camera, the little Nikon FG does nearly everything I want. Slap on a 20mm or 28mm Nikkor, store a 105mm in the bag, and one can shoot just about anything. I often carry the FG in preference to a FE2 or F100 for ease of handling and ergonomics (WTF is Dante Stella talking about?). I now own half a dozen of these little gems, and can't imagine street shooting without one.

Clay
Tinkerer
Username: Clay

Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I still use my 1971 Nikon F2AS, any one of
these 3 would be great to have:
Canon F-1 (went for the Nikon instead for lenses)
Nikon F with photomic viewfinder
Bessler Topcon Super D

/Clay

Anirban
Tinkerer
Username: Anirban

Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,
Does everybody agree here on the definition of "vintage" and "classic" cameras? Like they have for cars in vintage and classic car rallies?

Is it: pre-1960 is vintage
1960 - around-1980 is classic ?

That would make the Canon A-1, AE-1P and Pentax MEs the first of the modern cameras.

I am not sure whether anyone would agree with me, but I think the Nikon FM3A has the right genes to qualify as a new classic. This is at #1 on my must-have camera list now.

F16sunshyn
Tinkerer
Username: F16sunshyn

Post Number: 31

Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anirban
100% agree. Nikon made thier last real MF Mechanical cam an instant classic. If you really want one you should not wait. The numbers are moving in the wrong direction for this model.
Andy

Madmanphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Madmanphoto

Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Either a Univex mercury II or speed graphic just because they both look cool.

Thuggins
Tinkerer
Username: Thuggins

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Pen FT. How can you beat the smallest 35mm SLR ever made, complete with excellent lenses and other accessories?

If you want full frame, an OM-2. It's a tough call over the OM-1, but the 2 gives you OTF metering for amazing night shots

Nitor
Tinkerer
Username: Nitor

Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vintage...Dictionary says "of rare and unrepeatable quality" Which One ? Well it must fit your hand like a glove, without taking your eye from the viewfinder you should be able to see, exposure under/over, shutter speed, aperture, and preview depth of field and you should be able to pick it up and have it ready to go instantly without looking for any controls. Try a pentax MX ! Mine has worked perfectly since I bought it new.

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 21

Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Miranda Sensorex. Rugged, reliable, easy to work on, interchangeable prisms, excellent lenses, very quiet and you won't be carrying a Nikon or Canon like all the other nostalgia freaks. Plus, it has that super-neato Lincoln Continental grill!

Verduzcor
Tinkerer
Username: Verduzcor

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, here imho any of the next are a vintage classic:
Nikon F, F2, S, Canon 7, F-1,n, N (all), Leica IIIf (or g), Contaflex super, Retina II or III, Vitto, all old Rollei. None expensive.

Good time.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 159

Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 03:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

IMHO one of the great 70's useable classics has got to be Konica Autoreflex T3. Good solid construction, shutter priority AE provided by an ingenious mechanical system, and uses cheap button cells, no expensive 6V batteries to worry about. The only downside is trying to find a set of lenses; 24mm, 100mm, 200mm are as rare as hen's teeth!
For something a bit more modern Canon F-1N is in a league of it's own. Lenses are easy to find too.
The Canon A-series are great shooters but they have that 'made to a price' feel about them. There was NO excuse for making the top cover of the A-series out of electroplated plastic. The AE-1 Program even has a similar material for the baseplate, CHEAP!

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 67

Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Olly, you didn't say SLR or RF. I get the impression the older the better or more classic funky looking the better is what you are intending.

Ok, for SLR that would limit you to the Exakta or Praktica. The oldest usable Praktica would be the FX3. For Exakta, try the VX IIa or b or the VX500 or VX1000. If you like funky, try a Kowa H. If you want beauty and a real camera, yes, the Topcon Super D.

For RF there are a lot more choices. A postwar Kodak 35 RF with the good lens is ok for funky looking. Argus C3 is ok. For classy try a Regula IIId or Voigtlander Vitessa. My own personal old funky camera is the Clarus 35 (the American Leica) :-) . Another good one would be the Wirgin Edinex IIIS.

A lot of people will advise you to go for higher priced cameras like Leica, etc., but the aim is to have fun while taking pic.s.

And, even if I do have a few Nikon F, I never got past my first impression that it was a primitive camera because of the clunky oversized meter prism stuck on a converted Nikon RF body which was little more than a Contax copy to begin with.

When it comes to 35mm, most stuff earlier than mid-1950s was quirky.

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Posted on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about a Pentax SV? I have one and I consider it photographic jewelry.

http://images44.fotki.com/v1535/photos/4/1233394/7430481/IMGP7285b-vi.jpg

Gorgeous looking, perfect weight and balance. No batteries to care for. The most gorgeous viewfinder, precise controls with a great feeling of quality to them etc. etc.
A few weeks ago I just loaded a roll, remember the sunny 16 rule and had some fun!

http://images52.fotki.com/v1551/photos/4/1233394/7801733/12760013-vi.jpg

http://images51.fotki.com/v1549/photos/4/1233394/7801733/12760020-vi.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

Bill_alexander
Tinkerer
Username: Bill_alexander

Posted on Friday, January 08, 2010 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Choice Would be the Nikon F or Photomic as I
have owned and used both..But alas They slipped
thru my fingers when I switched to 120..Now I use
the Pentax K 1000 with with all the lenses and
extra bodies,if the Nikons are Cadillacs of the
35mmSLR the Pentax would be the Chevrolets, very easy to drive and reliable..next I would vote for
the Yachica GSN RF//have several and love them.
I guess these would be Vintage as they are not yet Classic in the normal sense of the word.

Jecicapapa
Tinkerer
Username: Jecicapapa

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My favorite 'fixed lens' 35mm rangefinder from the 50's is the Konica III series; great optics, high build quality, still repairable.

Estudleon
Tinkerer
Username: Estudleon

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 06:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My dream cam is the Alpa 10D with the kern macro switar 1,9/50.

Magkelly
Tinkerer
Username: Magkelly

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pentax SP2, preferably all black, but I'm flexible on that. I have an SP1 and love it, but I'd really love to upgrade to a Spottie with a hot shoe at some point.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 105

Posted on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A good copy of... Zorki (e.g. 4).
Before you eat me: it's a structurally simple rangefinder with removable back (!), easily adjustable with simple tools (!), has no half-mirror that can get desilvered with age (uses beamsplitter prism) (!) and takes Leitz LTM lenses if you are into that sort of money. CLA it and it works a treat.

If you loosen up on the 'vingage/classic' thing, I'd take the Konica Autoreflex TC - I really like mine, it's small and light, yet very smooth in operation, has a light meter and the lenses are good and relatively cheap. I had a try on the (much better equipped) TC3 and found it a brick. For that weight I'd take my Rolleicord, thank you. Not 35mm though.

However, if it has to be small, then Rollei 35 (I prefer the LED-meter version 35SE) is a good pick, scale focusing, but lovely build quality and perfect lens quality - nothing you'd expect in a package the size of a pack of cigarettes. Still, I like indoor and available light, so for ONE only I'd take a RF.

Marek

Edward8
Tinkerer
Username: Edward8

Post Number: 30

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 06:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It might be helpful to define terms.

In Australia and the UK, an item is an "antique" if it is 100 years old.

Draganflame
Tinkerer
Username: Draganflame

Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 07:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i crazy about Nikon d90 bundle
!
but i know that it isn't vintage

Norman
Tinkerer
Username: Norman

Post Number: 38

Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MPP Mk.7
There is nothing more that I need to say.

Norman
Tinkerer
Username: Norman

Post Number: 39

Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh sorry, I didn't read the first post properly. 35mm? Nikon F of course.

Stereopost
Tinkerer
Username: Stereopost

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since I have been a photographer since the early 1970s and have collected cameras since the late 1970s, my two "workhorse" cameras are the Minolta XD-11 (I have most ALL the bells and whistles and a nice collection of different lenses for it), and for a back-up camera I always took along my tried and true old buddy, the Argus C-3 (the brick). Neither of these cameras have ever let me down, and the Argus is so cool I have several, including one from WW2. Searching for accessories for the Argus is fun, but I was smart enough in the old days to try to buy all the accessories available at the time, and I did buy a LOT! Also, I got Ed Romney's manual for repair of the Argus C-3 (still have it) and learned how to fix them. I still have some parts. His manual even says how to convert to modern strobe flash, but I never did. No need to!

Edward8
Tinkerer

Post Number: 63

Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A full metal box. Brass. A lens from a reputable manufacturer. An optical viewfinder. A shutter release knob, like Leica.

A full frame, er, electronic sensor thingo that only does RAW.

Manual focus. Strong tripod bush.

Edward8
Tinkerer

Post Number: 64

Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

... but, to be serious about vintage cameras. For me, it would have to be one of the Leicas, either M2 or 3. But it's a close race between the Leicas and the Nikon F2. Built like a brick dunny, it will suffice under all circumstances.

Here in Australia, I'm not familiar with the Argus range of cameras.

It's a good question, oilky oplppus. With hindsight, my vote goes to the Olympus XA.

Regards.

Karl
Tinkerer
Username: Karl

Post Number: 84

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess after a lot of thought I would put forward Nikon F2 with Photomic head and Olympus OM1.Both are a joy to use.They are both in my eyes quite different cameras and I feel lend themselves to different subject matter.This may sound strange but that is what they convey to me when I use them.
I am also going to add Nikkormat (FTn) to the list,as I feel that these workhorses never seem to get the same recognition as their "Nikon" brothers.Yet have been the backup camera in many a photoraphers bag.

Jimmyh
Tinkerer
Username: Jimmyh

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd like the last camera to leave my hands will to be my Nikon FM. First SLR I owned, and still have. It will still do everything I need.

If that is not vintage enough, my Zeiss Contina III that my mother passed along to me to encourage me in photography. It too will still do everything I need.

Edward8
Tinkerer

Post Number: 65

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karl. Fully agree about the F2 and OM1. However, if I had to choose, I'd go for the F2. A true workhorse. It's a close race, though! Yeah, OK, I'll withdraw the Olympus XA.

The Nikkormat has to be one of Nikon's most under-rated cameras. The F2 is a fine, tough race horse; the Nikkormat is a draft horse, which will slog out the journey with barely a snort.

Jimmyh: The FM is a fine instrument, and there lies its problem. It has an exceptionally high top shutter speed, which - in my humble opinion - makes it vulnerable in the long haul. (I had one die during a job. Cost $AUD 500 for a shutter replacement. It was the titanium model.) My experience aside, however, it's a beaut camera.

But, to stick to the brief and select one camera:

Leica M3. With 35mm fast lens. No meter. Thin leather strap. An adequate supply of Kodak Tri-X. Or HP5. Several gallons of D76, a stock of fix,three grades of paper, an enlarger, a safelight, two or three trays ... water and wine.

Cheers!

Amplifierword
Tinkerer
Username: Amplifierword

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My dream camera: Konica Auto S 1.6 w/ a 45mm 1.6 lens in it's original leather...oh wait! :D

Rgb_mike
Tinkerer
Username: Rgb_mike

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's too hard for only 1 my 2 Dreams, are the
Nikon F2 & the Zeiss Ikon Contesa. I can sit &
stare at these beauties for hours. The plus is they both work & take beautiful pictures.

Mike

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 203

Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My favorite 35mm SLR has always been, and remains, the Original Canon F-1 (second version, often referred to as the F-1n, not to be confused with the New F-1). It is followed closely by the Nikon F2 -- I prefer the F2A. However, if I had to choose between the two based on their motor drive options, then the F2 gets the nod with its MD-2/MB-1 combination, which is vastly superior to the Canon Motor Drive MF.

If I had to choose a rangefinder, well it's a classic design at least, if not a classic in terms of its years of manufacture -- but it would be the Leica M6 with a brace of lenses to fit. :-)

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 212

Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Easily, a Nikon F2S. And I finally got one last year. I don't use it enough though, what with all the time spent fixing and testing other cameras.

PF

Thol
Tinkerer
Username: Thol

Posted on Friday, March 02, 2012 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A mint or "excellent" Nikon SP with the titanium shutter. As jewelry — for my taste — it beats the Leicas. More refined than the Contax II and III. I don't suppose I'll ever own one. Don't suppose I might ever find one in the condition I'd find acceptable. But if I did, I trade all the cameras and all the lenses I own for this one camera.

Jeffk
Tinkerer
Username: Jeffk

Post Number: 59

Posted on Friday, March 02, 2012 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This isn't really an antique, but it has most of the features of an antique (including full functionality minus the meter if the battery dies), and if I had to pick ONLY ONE 35 mm camera it'd be the one that I actually use most of the time - Contax S2. Light, simple, a fine machine that accepts a large number of mostly excellent lenses that are widely available and not ridiculously expensive. The only complaint I can think of is that the slowest shutter speed is 1 second - it would not have been difficult to add some slower speeds for night photography when you neglected to bring your cable release. Otherwise it's a gem. I have a bunch of other 35 mm cameras that I enjoy using and do use, but the S2 is the one I'd keep if it had to be just one.

Csuchindran
Tinkerer
Username: Csuchindran

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2012 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

have the following fully functional cameras: zeiss ikon contaflex I w/fixed tessar 45mm/2.8 synchro-compur, bessaflex tm, nikon fm2n, nikon fm3a. guess all of these qualify as classic slrs?

Nick_merritt
Tinkerer
Username: Nick_merritt

Post Number: 25

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You don't get more practical or cool than a Nikon F. It's great to have an in-camera meter, but the Photomic head adds significantly to the size and weight (and you'd need to come up with a battery workaround, like hearing aid batteries), so maybe the plain prism is best. Certainly it's the coolest looking.

There are a wide range of excellent Nikkors available, so that's added practicality. The older Nikkors (pre-AI) are reasonably priced also.

The camera is about as sturdy as any camera ever made, so it's going to be quite reliable.

Kerne
Tinkerer
Username: Kerne

Post Number: 20

Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No question, I'd be willing to part with any of my cameras except for the Mamiya C220 (medium format 'tho) and my Pentax K1000 with the SMC-A f3.5 35-105mm lens. There's a reason it was in production for 21 years.

Thol
Tinkerer

Post Number: 26

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 01:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nick wrote:
> You don't get more practical or cool than a Nikon F.

I just achieved that very long held dream. Some months ago someone gave me a Photomic F with a standard 50mm H series F.2 lens that was completely fogged up with mold. And then yesterday I found a used equipment store that had a 50mm Nikkor S 1.4. It cost me what you might call $70 in the US.

Next: I gotta do a battery workaround and then shoot some film in front of a CRT to see if it is roughly in time and check if the curtain is moving OK. If not, there is a local service available for the Nikon F's.

It is an enormous rig and heavy, but Iove the way it feels.

Thol
Tinkerer

Post Number: 27

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 01:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jimmyh wrote:

> If that is not vintage enough, my Zeiss Contina III that my mother passed along to me to encourage me in photography.

I think mine is a Contina II, and I've had it since 1971. Photography at it's simplest — zone focusing. (All their meters will be dead by now). Vastly more mechanically simple than my my now inoperative Contaflexes. Dead reliable. Gem-like build (although some say the internals can be less than 100%.) The 45mm Novicar may not get brilliant retrospectives, but I always found it a bright and contrasty little lens — very sharp if one takes the trouble to get the focus right. If some thief came into the house and cleaned out all my old cameras except the Contina, I would feel that I still had something worthwhile — a vintage classic and an old friend. I swear I can hear the shutter as a write this.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 164

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Contina II meter is still active and accurate!
And I agree with your sentiment, it's a very well put together camera.

Deeslexia
Tinkerer
Username: Deeslexia

Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why not a Minolta SRT , built like a brick , especially a black one , even better , a black Minolta SR1s - like the SRT , no meter [ I wish ] still have several .

Classic simplicity - Leica IIIc - plentiful , must have been serviced , mine's 1947 , old as me . CV35 f2.5 perfectly adequate and not expensive .

For the adventurous , a Kiev from the 50s , like my 1951 and 1952 KNeB II - Contax quality , post war shorter life .

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 285

Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A complete bullseye Contarex kit with lenses, that works! It's that last bit that's problematic.

Biloraguy
Tinkerer
Username: Biloraguy

Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is easy. A circa 1936 Kodak Special camera, an art deco masterpiece folder with an f2 Ektar lens.
The tough question is which of the 50 film cameras I now own would I be willing to part with...?

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 104

Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 03:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gray paint Leica IIIc "K" with MOOLY motor drive and Never-ready case probably tops the list.

I'd like to add a large format wood and brass travel camera to my collection one day and shoot some tintypes with it.

Biloraguy
Tinkerer
Username: Biloraguy

Post Number: 10

Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When anyone says "the dictionary says..." it is best to check to see if you wallet is still in your pocket. The last time I looked there were 17 dictionaries in the English language and they don't necessarily agree with each other. A dictionary represents the best judgment of so-called experts but if they are experts why don't they always agree?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration