Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Looking for a compact 35mm classic Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Looking for a compact 35mm classic « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carter840
Tinkerer
Username: Carter840

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Folks looks like a great forum you have here. Just wondering if I could get some advice on a good 70's 35mm camera that has a nice classic look and maintains a compact size. I have been looking at a lot of range finders, but my friends dad (professional photographer) insists that RFs are not a good choice. What are some of your recommendations? I am looking to spend no more then 90 dollars and that includes any cost that would be necessary on repair work.

Thanks

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 217

Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well to start with range finder,s are a good choice, If you don't need interchangable lenses but if you do the price does somewhat rise, I use zorki-1 cameras and they work well. Rollie 35 are great with fixed lense. As far as slr's Minolta srt101 etc are a good choick lots of used lenses and parts. Are you interested in doing your ownj maintainence and repairs? Zorki is easy, But whatever you choose and if you do fix it a repair manual and expirence helps. I started with Argus c3 and progressed up from there. Don

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 172

Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why not prod round a few thrift stores and pick up a Trip 35? That way you can spend thrift store prices and get something easy to use and well-documented, and you can play with it and see if you like the format rather than splashing out on something more expensive, then deciding you'd like an SLR (or whatever) more.

Of course, if you do end up with an SLR or a rangefinder you've wasted the price of the Trip... but you'll have wasted a lot more if you buy the SLR/RF first and don't like it!

Adrian

Nick_merritt
Tinkerer
Username: Nick_merritt

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take a look at the Canonet GIII QL17 -- compact size, excellent lens, very plentiful and you should be able to get a nice one for $90. The downside is that the camera takes the mercury 625 batteries, so you'll need to improvise a bit there -- 1) get an alkaline 625 (somewhat hard to find outside a camera store) and set the film speed one stop slower to compensate for the alkaline's different voltage; 2) use 675 size hearing aid batteries (correct voltage) and get a metal spacer to enable the battery to fit the compartment properly; 3) pay money to get the camera's voltage adjusted, and then you can use a 76 or 357 or 44 size battery (again with a spacer); or 4) go buy yourself a Wein brand 625 battery (only found in a camera store, I think) and drop that in the camera and off you go.

You'll find that the Wein cells are nothing more than longer-lasting 675 hearing aid batteries, packaged with a metal washer spacer. You can reuse that washer once the battery dies, and just keep sticking the 675 hearing aid batteries in it.

David_ritchie
Tinkerer
Username: David_ritchie

Post Number: 39

Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that Nick made a good suggestion re: the Canonet Glll QL. There is another classic that I have used which should be considered. The Olympus 35RC is slightly smaller and a great little camera. It is shutter preferred vs aperature preferred on the Canonet which is important to some people. The same battery problem as outlined by Nick for the Canonet exists for the Olympus so you could follow his suggestions on that point. I might add that I bought a small rubber "O" ring, 7/16 X9/16 at the hardware store, slipped it over a 625 hearing aid battery and it works fine in my Olympus.

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 65

Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The great thing about classic compacts from the 70s and thereabouts is that you're spoiled for choice. Everyone has a favourite, and the great thing is that they're not all the same. My current favourite (which changes from month to month and back again) is the 35RC. Small, light, yet feels solid. If you have large fingers, you may find the aperture ring fiddly to turn, but that superb little 5-element Zuiko lens makes up for it. It's sharp, sharp, sharp. I disagree thoroughly with the fellow who says RF is not a good choice. It's very easy and fast to focus an RF. The 35RC has shutter priority AE, though I leave the battery out and meter by hand (it's just how I like to work). I liked mine so much I bought a second to have as a spare or load with a different film. They're incredibly pocketable. I also like a camera that looks like a camera, and not a piece of moulded plastic. It's got a few niggles, like a rather unusual filter thread size, but overall, it's a peach. It's a fixed lens, of course, but that can be more of a liberation than a constraint. I wouldn't be without mine. Even when it's the big cameras being packed for an outing, it's always in a corner in the bag as a backup or a grab-me-quick camera.

As Adrian suggests, don't overlook the Trip -- the older one, not the much later plasticky one.

Others I like include the Ricoh 500 series, quite similar to the 35RC in many ways. I have the 500GX, which is identical to the 500G but has a multiple-exposure facility that the 500G doesn't. I've never used multi-exposures. The Ricoh is a very attractive looking compact,squarish but with clean lines and rounded corners. The Rikenon 40mm lens is nice, and has a more common 46mm filter thread compared to the 43.5mm of the Oly. Its shutter range is 1/8-1/500, giving it an extra speed over the 1/15-1/500 of the Oly.

Finding pictures of these on the 'net is easy.

_nathan
Tinkerer
Username: _nathan

Post Number: 11

Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with the aforementioned Canon GIII QL17, and the Olympus 35RC. However if you do not mind stepping back in time twenty years I would strongly recommend the Kodak Retina IIIc. You can find a nice working example for under $90 with some prying around. The 50mm f/2 standard lens is quite sharp, and you can also purchase interchangeable wideangle and telephoto lenses at a modest price. The camera folds up nicely which ultimately protects the lens from damage, and moreover easily fits into your pocket. Furthermore, the shutter/film advance is extremely quiet which makes the camera suitable for discreet useage, and the best part is no batteries are needed! I often use my Retina IIIc for street photography on rainy days when not risking the heatlh of my Nikon S2 is a priority. If you decide to go with the Retina IIIc be sure to look for one in decent cosmetic condition, with a functioning light meter, and matching serial numbers. Be advised however that they are not easy to service...

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 47

Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 07:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI!
As an ex-semi-pro' I can recommend the Olympus 35RD. Used one for years as my compact, and sold some of the results I obtained with this camera. I would never part with my old workhorse, but in the course of becoming a collector, I do have a spare.........
Regards,
Barnum

Geowelch
Tinkerer
Username: Geowelch

Post Number: 17

Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Canonette QL17 is a good choice. It is easy to use and very quiet which makes it well suited to street photography. They are also a good size - compact but fits the hand well. The problem with some of the other choices like the Olympus RC or my own Ricoh 500G is that they are on the tiny side, though I've gotten good results with both. The rangefinder spot can fade with age however on all these cameras.

If you want the option of interchangeable lenses, you might want to consider an slr. There are a number that are very compact - the Pentax M series comes to mind. These are great little cameras and reasonably quiet for an slr. A Pentax ME is my current favourite carry-about camera. It has a very reliable aperture priority metering system, and is flexible enough for most situations. There is also the Olympus OM series. All can be obtained quite inexpensively. I think my ME cost me $50.

Carter840
Tinkerer
Username: Carter840

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well just thought I would update you guys. I have been taking an intro photo class at school and have been using a Pentax K1000. I really like the camera it is basic and I am learning a lot using it. I also just purchased a used 1968 Petri Color 35. I ave heard they are very similar to the Rollie 35, but with better design and a cheaper lens.

Leesobing
Tinkerer
Username: Leesobing

Post Number: 22

Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 06:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

why not phoniex/seagull JG 203 it is cheap and simple to use and repair.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 143

Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Olympus OM1 SLR

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/OlympusM1La rryShapiro/index.htm

Small, with a wonderful classic 35mm 70s look. Lenses are very sharp and to top it all, they are always in the clssifieds for around $100. Plenty of lenses available for em too. Oh and it has a mirror up feature to eliminate mirror vibration when shooting.

Now if you are looking for something very unique with a rangefinder... Kodak Retina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodak_Retina

A beautiful folder that just spews classic quality, will definately turn heads when you snap it open and a crisp bellows with all that chrome n fancy looking shutter n lens pops out. They can be found for around $60 in good working condition. Oh did I mention it can fit in your shirt pocket?

Leesobing
Tinkerer
Username: Leesobing

Post Number: 37

Posted on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hve find some intersting
http://www.pluto.dti.ne.jp/~masaki-k/camera%20Naigai%20SRF.htm
another hand KONICA 35 also funny
Agfa Optima 60 and clone Qingdao 6

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 151

Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 03:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I havea a Pentax K1000 with a 50mm lens I can let go cheap... $75? The meter doesn't work but the camera is in great condition otherwise.

Paul Ron, NYC
automax1@juno.com

Dsides
Tinkerer
Username: Dsides

Post Number: 13

Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 05:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't forget the Pentax Spotmatic!

Puderse
Tinkerer
Username: Puderse

Post Number: 29

Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 07:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is an Olympus OM-1 (orig) w/Oly 135mm on shopgoodwill.com right now for less than $10!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration