Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Stereo Photography Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Stereo Photography « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ronny
Tinkerer
Username: Ronny

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I have a functioning Illoca Stereo II camera and would like to be able to enjoy some stereo photos. I realize that I need a way to mount the photos (negatives, slide film…?) and some way to view them but I have no idea of what kind of equipment would be necessary to accomplish this. Does anyone know where I can best find out?
Ronny

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 271

Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For stereo slides you use a stereo viewer which are available on web or you can do what I did and that is to take yur b & w or color prints and mount them on stiff cardboard, I then adjust them while viewing through my stereo-opticon viewer, the type you have seen in antique shops etc. Or you might purchase a used stereo projector and go the other route with stereo glasses. For best results the type of screen is important..I'm not sure if service is still available for mounting stereo slides. Scenic photos are awesome in stereo . Do yu do any of your own darkroom work? This makes it easier for b&w..Maybe some one out here has some stereo equiptment to sell or trade..Don

Ronny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your reply. I have learned so far that not all stereo cameras are alike and that the distance between the lenses is critical and determines which viewer must be used. I tried a plastic viewer from a toy store (used for the popular circular stereo discs kids like) but it didn't match the camera and so didn't work. I have seen mounting equipment on stereo internet sites but don't have a clue about exactly what I need. I used to do developing but have been trying to sell my enlarger and the rest of the stuff unsuccessfully for quite a while. Ronny

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 272

Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What the stereo viewer is trying to do is replicate the pupil distance of the human eyes. I have used a stnadard 35mm camera to take senic shots and it worked great, This is good for tripod mounted shosts only. I took one photo and moved the camera to the right and 2.5 inches and took another duplicate. With 35 mm I had to cut the print to fit the frame of the stereopticon. If you still want to go the slide route look for a Iloca or Kodak stereo viewer. I'm sure they will work with your Iloca camera. If your are critical you can measure the distance between the center of the Iloca lenses then find a viewer to match. If you are speaking of the viewmaster viewer , the format size is too small. I know of one person who mounted two panavue mono viewers on a piece of wood , he mesured distance to match camera distance and a little glue and presto..You could try this way too. Adjust the distance while viewing slides...Don

Ronny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Don. Ronny

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration