Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zenit 6 with Rubin-1 first soviet zoo... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Zenit 6 with Rubin-1 first soviet zoom lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wiredbarbarian
Tinkerer
Username: Wiredbarbarian

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, was wondering if anybody knew anything about the Zenit 6 with its Rubin-1 zoom lens? The only information I can find about it is that its almost exactly the same camera as the Zenit 4 except it comes with the Rubin-1 zoom lens which is apparently the first soviet zoom lens made and is early 60's. Does anyone exactly how rare this camera is and howmuch it would be worth? The one I'm looking at is in working condition but not in the best cosmetic condition. It is missing the plastic grip handle on the front right side. What about the Rubin-1 lens? Is it any good? Its humungous compared to the camera! I've been searching for some sample photos talen with this lens and camera with no results! Any info would be great thanks!

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 278

Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go to www.ussrphoto.com they have much data on all cameras. Don

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 516

Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Rubin-1c 2.8/37-80 is based on the Voigtländer Zoomar design and was introduced around 1964/65. Its performance is typical of mass produced 60s zoom lenses - it does what it says on the box if you know how to use or maximise the strong points. Obviously the strong point of this lens was the large constant maximum aperture - the reason for the bulk of the lens - and something which was not seen in consumer zooms from other manufacturers. The reason is that this lens/camera combination was an attempt to produce 'high end' professional equipment, not only for the vast Soviet market but for export also. I have no idea of production figures for the Zenit 6/Rubin-1 combination, but in the last forty years I have come across perhaps 10-15 examples - all suffering from the typical Soviet quality control problems of the period.

Following this, there were two more attempts to make high-end protographic equipment, the Zenit-7 (1968) and Zenit-D (1969). Both were based on the completely new cloth-curtain shutter construction. The Zenit-D had automatic exposure mode. Its shutter was speeded for X-sync at 1/125. Each had its own bayonet mount ("mount 7" and "mount D" respectively) which helped to utilize the camera's most advanced features. There were plans to develop a full line of optics for these cameras but the new shutter was too complicated and unreliable. Production was cancelled shortly after, and the only lens made for new mounts were the standard types. Ironically, the Start, Zenit-7 and Zenit-D utilized the same normal lens -- a Helios-44 2/58. The Zenit-D is one of the rarest Zenit camera -- only 63 cameras were produced.

I am always somewhat suspicious of people who ask about the rarity and value of post 1960 cameras, if you buy kit of this era with a view to turning a quick profit you will inevitably get your fingers burnt. The camera is worth what you are prepared to pay for it - if you like the look of it and can afford the asking price purchase and enjoy. Should the asking price seem a bit rich, leave well alone and look for a cheaper example.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration