Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Argoflex seventyfive Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Argoflex seventyfive « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stepheng
Tinkerer
Username: Stepheng

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 02:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi to everyone :-) just thought i would introduce myself and ask if anyone knows much about the Argoflex camera that i came across in my finance's attic.
I am a Amateur digital Photographer but have become more and more interested in old film cameras to use as working camera's and at present also have a Yashica 635.

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 94

Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello. Welcome to the forum.
Argus is American, and I believe five models of your camera were produced.
E. 1940/8. Focussing F4.5/75mm Varex lens. B-200 speeds.
EM. 1948. Also known as Argoflex 11. Metal body.
EF. 1948/51. Fitted for flash.
40. 1950/4. Lenses not coupled externally. View lens does not focus.
75. 1949/58. Black plastic body. Fixed focus.
The latter is by far the most common in my experience. All are carboot values.
Regards.

Dcluley
Tinkerer
Username: Dcluley

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In addition the black 75 was followed by a brown version from 1958 to the mid '60s.
and the 40 was followed by the Super75 which still had focusing and several f-stop settings but the single 1/60 shutter speed of the cheaper Seventyfive.

However, if yours says "Argoflex" and "Seventyfive" it is from the 1948-52 period. The later versions replaced "Argoflex" with just the "Argus" name and the brown ones used "75" rather than spelling it out.

They use 620 film, so you will need to respool 120 to use it.

Stepheng
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 08:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info and it has a metal body and "Seventyfive". I intend to use black and white film as i want to develop myself and have read it is a lot easier to learn and not as expensive,as i am currently saving up for a Canon 1ds 3 so i am watching my budget. :-)

Dcluley
Tinkerer
Username: Dcluley

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found that 100-200 speed film works pretty well with the 75s. The shutter speed is nominally 1/50 and the aperture is f11.

The back is metal, but the main body is actually bakelite plastic.

Check to see if there is a four digit number stamped inside the back. Some of them have this, and it tells you the month/year of production.

Stepheng
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info greatly appreciated.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration