Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35 RC family portrait Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Olympus 35 RC family portrait « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer
Username: Sauli_särkkä

Post Number: 27

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a snap from yesterday, when I finished one RC in deep green leather (what a horribly difficult color to try and photograph properly..). I also have a fourth 35 RC, but since its missing a self-timer lever, I didn't include it in the picture.

http://www.saulisarkka.com/gallery/Cameras/slides/DSC_8907b-1.html

This is getting out of hand. And the snake skin version is on the 'bay so the collection doesn't get out of hand. I also fixed a stuck shutter on a Konica Auto S2 yesterday, tweaked a Petri 7S and a Petri 7S II and hope to re-do covering on at least one of them.

The Konica repair destroyed front the leathers, since there seemed to be some kind of mega-super-horrible glue under the skins --> off they come and ready for re-covering with something a little less dull.

-Sale

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 29

Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a second family portrait, with a Pink Konica auto S2, a Petri 7S in flaming tan, as well as that deep green Olympus 35 RC.

http://www.saulisarkka.com/gallery/Cameras/slides/DSC_9806.html

-Sale

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 94

Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 02:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another nice family portrait! You did an excellent job redressing these ladies. BTW where do you buy the skins from?

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 31

Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 05:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I get the materials from various dealers online, mostly on eBay. The deep green coverings came from cameraleather.com.

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 95

Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot. Do you buy pre-cut (camera specific) skins or do you buy sheets?

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 32

Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sheets. The only pre-cut case so far has been the green RC. Otherwise, it's peeling old leatherette from the camera, trying to set them onto the new material nicely enough, attach double-sided tape to the backside, cutting a rough shape, then endlessly trimming to get the piece to fit properly.

So many times I've trimmed a little too much, then had to re-do the piece all over again. It can get time-consuming and causes many ugly words to spill from the mouth, leaving me wondering why I didn't order from cameraleather in the first place...but then I remember the fact, that they don't have that specific material on the list, so my only option is to make it myself and grin. At some point, at least.. ;)

Like today, on my last RC. I ended up just giving up. I couldn't hold my concentration after fudging up cutting the same piece three times and ruining another while laying it down in place (a quarter of a millimeter off, re-peeling killed the piece --> F#¤%). Perhaps I'll take another stab at it in the very near future and post a pic or two..

-Sale

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 96

Posted on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 02:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Sale for sharing your experience. Reason why I was asking is that I already have a sheet of green leatherette from cameraleather at home but did not dare to start redoing one of my cameras. Courage left me when I had received it. Nevertheless the project is not dead but I think I will start with a camera that has quite a simple pattern - all straight lines or so.
Thanks and regards from Austria
Martin

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get your hands on a Petri 7s, it's not horribly difficult. All straight lines, except for the front pieces, but they're nice and "normally" round pieces that hide under the edge of the lens and they allow for error of some parts of a millimeter.

Is the sheet the kind with the adhesive backing?

-Sale

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 97

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 02:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advice. I'll see with which one to start. I need to do a SLR first which really needs a new covering.
I have both the adhesive and the non adhesive (ordered the adhesive one but got sent the other one which I could keep after receiving the right one). What do you think to be the better option to work with?

Regards
Martin

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 37

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 05:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd go with the self-adhesive first. If it's got the protective backing on, you can cut the piece to the correct size and shape, then remove the backing and slap it on.

Well, it's not that simple in all cases ;)

If you need to get the material underneath, say, the root of the objective, I usually go this route:
- uncover the part that goes under + about 1 centimeter more
- lick the adhesive, so it deactivates for a while
- set in into the right place and hold for a while
- while still holding it down, peel the rest of the backing with tweezers, etc. a bit at a time, folding it outwards and gluing the material outwards a little bit at a time, making sure it's still aligned

-Sale

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 99

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sale, thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind when starting on the camera. I will also have a mechanical issue to solve before I start with the leatherette so it might take some time though. Nevertheless with your tips I have no excuse anymore for not starting with it ;-)
Regards
Martin

Norman
Tinkerer
Username: Norman

Post Number: 19

Posted on Friday, May 01, 2009 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got lots of leather from colleagues at work after asking if any of the ladies had old leather handbags ( "A handbag!" says Oscar Wilde) No handbags, but a couple of old leather coats and trousers. At first I thought that they were too thick, but no, it gives a nice soft feel. To make a template just use a piece of paper and run your finger around the edges to make a crease, then cut it out. If you get it wrong do it again, paper is cheap.If you get one part right you can tape it onto another piece of paper until it is perfect.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration