Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

220 film in Foldex 30 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » 220 film in Foldex 30 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jayd
Tinkerer
Username: Jayd

Post Number: 42

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to use 220 film in my foldex 30 orginally desinged for 620/120. I have waisted a roll of film and found the spools clear and have the advancing down since the window will be blacked out: 7&3/4 turns from start to frame 1, then 2 turns frame 2 through 12, 1&3/4 turns frames 13 to 15. I wonder if there will be any other problems ?

Ohm
Tinkerer
Username: Ohm

Post Number: 20

Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might have to shim out the film plane behind the film to get it flat as there is no backing paper.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 579

Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you will have a serious light sealing problem. I really cannot think of a single positive attribute for this 'conversion'.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 291

Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 06:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As Ohm says about the film plane yes it might have to be shimmed or pressure increased or maybe the present spring is enough. But I would place a piece of black paper the type used for storing enlarging paper over the peep window. The only advantage is longer shooting sessions. Don

Ohm
Tinkerer
Username: Ohm

Post Number: 22

Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you want to use 220, if you are like me I got a box of Fuji 160s for $12, I keep me old 120 spools and backing papers, I just carefully in the dark unroll the 220, cut it in half, attach it to the 120 backing paper and roll it onto a spool. This way I can use it on other cameras.

Jayd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 45

Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all your comments
The reason to do this is I have a supply of Konica pro 160 220 and can get all I want at very cheap prices, not to mention more exposures per roll. Glenn the camera was made to take 120 as well as 620 so I don't understand why I would have more light leak trouble provided I block out the peep hole by flat black paint or electrical tape which I would do for 120 as well I just dont trust it with today's films and with my count I don't need it. As for the pressure plate I will likely try it with not adjustment then if results indicate measure the paper backing and shim the pressure plate by that much or I may mic the paper first to get an Ideal of how much diffrence it makes I'm making a wild guess of 10 thousands of an inch 0.010 inches I don't have percision measuring tools in metric and likely less.
One thing occurs to me : I should make sure the pressure plate is completely smooth so it does not damage the film. One might apply a plastic film over the pressure plate the thickness of the backing paper ?
Alot to think about.
Thanks again
Jay

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 584

Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jay,

The paper backing was not just there to print the exposure numbers on. It gave a good measure of protection from light leakage, to the film stock rolled on the spools. This was especially so in the days when standard film speeds were much slower and films were less sensitive to certain parts of the visible spectrum.

It could be that the anti-halation coating will do the same job as the paper backing - you will just have to try a roll, making sure that the camera is handled in bright light. Well you want to test the worst case scenario, not ruin some important images because the day was beautiful and sunny.

Jayd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 51

Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Soon as I get the shutter back together I'll find out.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration