Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

MPP Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » MPP « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 102

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have added a Mk7(body style 'B')Micro Technical camera to my collection recently. I'm no expert on MPP stuff,so...
Looking at the open camera from the front, there is a pivoted lever on the left hand side. This runs in a channel on the left hand side of the bed. Adjacent to it, a plate holds a screw with a relatively large head with serrated edge. These appear to have no function. They accomodate some kind of accessory perhaps? Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Should anyone be interested, I have a spare Micropress & four film backs spare. All in nice working condition. Any reasonable offers?

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 103

Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I'm feeling a little foolish. Fiddling around with this thing, I had a notion that the lever may be something to do with the rangefinder. Yes! The rf does however seem to be impossibly inaccurate, & I still have no notion of what the serrated-head screw, attached to the runners on the bed, does. Any ideas? Anyone!

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 586

Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Each lens came with a cam plate that was attached by the serrated screw, and this actuated the RF lever.

You should note that each cam was lens specific, being calibrated for that particular lens and thus stamped with the lens serial/identification number.

If you scroll down to the section on your model on the web site opened by the link below, and then click on the cam box in the tech details section - all will be explained/become clear.

http://www.mppusers.freeuk.com/microtec.htm

Wish I had a tenner for every plate/polaroid I exposed on the old Micros - I would be very flush in the old 'add to collection' money box!

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 104

Posted on Friday, May 22, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Glenn, & thanks.
I'm not sure if the site you pointed me towards, supplies such pieces. If not, then fabricating one for a Schneider Xenar 150mm should be no problen, given the measurements. Can you assist with this?
Regards

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 587

Posted on Friday, May 22, 2009 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roger,

Sorry I have no access to the Micros I used all those years ago, sad tale really. Various promotions moved me around the UK: however, the person who took over my old job was very inept at using these cameras - in a fit of pique he shoved them in a cupboard. When I eventually returned to the original location, there was no sign of of any MPP equipment. Some unnamed cretin in the purchasing department had decided that the kit was surplus to requirements, but also decided that it had no resale value! Thus instead of being offered to staff, it was literally binned!

As you say fabrication of a replacement will be simple - if you have a pattern. If you go to the cam plate tech section on the above site and scroll down to the bottom, you will find detailed instructions on making replacement cams. Just remember that MPP quote the actual focal length of the lens - your 150mm Xenar is actually 148.74mm - as quoted in tables.

The site gives you all the information required to make a replacement. All you will have to do then is calibrate for accuracy by filing the slope.

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 106

Posted on Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn.
Much obliged.
Regards
Roger

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration