Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How old is too old (film)? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » How old is too old (film)? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 25

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How far expired can film be and still be useable? I found some Ilford iso 50 that says Jan. 1975 and Aug. 1980. Also have a Konica InfraRed 120 that expired 1998. After that, my "fresh" film is mostly iso 200 exp. 2003. Interested in using them even if they produce only Lomo-esque Diana type pic.s.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 179

Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've gotten good results from Plus X at over 25 years old, and that's faster than the Ilford, so I'd expect if the film has not been stored badly you might do all right with regular black and white. Infrared film, I'm told, doesn't age as gracefully, and is likely to fog pretty badly, but I wouldn't write it off without trying a roll anyway.

Elwrongo
Tinkerer
Username: Elwrongo

Post Number: 16

Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've found it depends on the film type and also how its been stored. My experience is that black and white film still works but gets weaker as it gets older (ten years plus). Colour negative may suffer some colour shift but is generally robust, especially the consumer grade stuff rather than the Pro film which tens to be more sensitive to heat etc. Slide/Chrome film is the most subject to change. I bought some really old Agfachrome (20 years) and the colours were really all over the place and lots of green spots all over it too. Kind of interesting but I haven't shot any more of it! I go for refrigerated under five years now.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 293

Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I once was given a folding kodak about 1920 vintage, film was still in ikt. I rolled off remainder and souped in tray development. The pictures were very old about 45 years old and still good. Keep bulk film refrigerated or if not to be used sealed and frozen. It keeps well. as stated black and white seems to fair better. Recently I was given a 126 color 200 asa film and sent it to blue moon for souping. four shots still remained. Heat and humidity are the worse things for film also x rays. Don

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration