Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

35mm film before 135 carts Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » 35mm film before 135 carts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 72

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 02:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A few years ago I bought off eBay a box of very old 35mm film. It's packaged in a tube with carboard ends, wrapped in black paper and then in foil paper.

Is this the way 35mm film was sold, or is this cassette designed to fit a specific camera.

Any info appreciated
Greg

35mm Film cart.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 108

Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Einlegepackung" means something like "drop in pack". The container holds one length of film (1.6 mts, 36 exposures) you had to load a re-usebale cassette (e.g. Leica cassettes) with it. Loading had to be done in the darkroom. The system was more easy to use than a bulk loader, I think. Films were available as 1-packs or 10-packs (like yours).
http://www.rogerandfrances.com/photoschool/ps%20how%20choose%20cassetes.html
But you certainly know reloadable cassettes.

Depending on how old the film is it is possible that it is still nitrate film which bears risk.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrocellulose#Nitrate_film

Hope it helps.

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 74

Posted on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 05:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your reply and the links. This film, then, would have been used to reload the proprietry cartridges that were around at the time.

Thanks for the heads up on the nitrate film. I used to project 35mm movies at the local cinema here. Although it was all safety film by then, the fire proofing, safety shutters and enclosed film reels were still all intact. The flame traps on the feed and takeup spools were particularly intriguing. Reels not actually in the projectors had to be stored in flame proof boxes.

I cut a few inches off this film, set it on an outside anvil and applied a match. It certainly is nitrate film. The flare up left me in no doubt. A projection room fire would have been a disaster.

I think I'll refrigerate it along with the other films.

Btw this film is dated July 1944

Cheers
Greg

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 44

Posted on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A link to an old (German) ad for Einlegepackungen: http://www.aphog.de/downloads/agfa/kb_37.pdf on PDF page 6

According to that, Einlegepackungen were supposed to be daylight loaded into labyrinthine cassettes or daylight spooled into Agfa/Leitz tin cassettes with a special loader.

But using them without any cartridge seems to have been popular too - photographers were poor and used to darkroom loading.

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 109

Posted on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry if I correct.
The ad says "Einlegepackungen" are used for darkroom (Dunkelkammer) loading into the usual cassettes of "Kleinbildcameras" (35mm) or for daylight loading into Leitz-Agfa cassettes using the special loader described on the next page.

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 110

Posted on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greg,

glad I was of help.
So you certainly know more about the precautions necessary for nitrate film than I do. I found the info by luck when googeling the film. It was produced as safety film as well but I thought mentioning the possibility would not be a bad idea.

Raj
Tinkerer
Username: Raj

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gentlemen,

Newbie here.The film you refer to, were called 'Daylight Refills'. They could also be reloaded in Agfa, Forte, ORWO (original{OR} Wolfen {WO}, ex Agfa works on the wrong side of the iron curtain, GDR authorities had to change the name to ORWO, after the World Court awarded the Agfa name and trade mark to Agfa Leverkusen) Foma and other 35mm cassettes with snap off caps.

They could be loaded in subdued light without recourse to a darkroom.

Raj
From beautiful and exotic India.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration