Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Do you remember Shutterbug Ads and th... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Do you remember Shutterbug Ads and the others? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 36

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many of you were around when Shutterbug Ads started up in 1971? I remember there was also a magazine titled "Glass, Brass and Wood" or something like that? Are any of you old timers (like me) who advertised in S.A.?

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 86

Posted on Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never advertised, but I bought from shutterbug. Lots of weird stuff there!

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 28

Posted on Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 08:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do very little selling, but I sold a couple of items and bought a few more from Shutterbug Ads. I still have a 1973 issue of Shutterbug tucked away in the basement... 24 8.5 x 11 inch pages on newsprint. I have no idea why I've kept it, aside from being a pathological packrat.
In some ways, the hobby had an added dimension of fun before there was so much published information. There was a sense of discovery when you'd try and figure out what you had.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer

Post Number: 38

Posted on Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had an earlier one than that when it was standard 8.5 x 11 with the red/white checked top and horribly exposed photo on front (by the publisher, Glan Patch). But I remember all those yellow newspaper sized editions that came along later on.

Yes, you are right. It is always fun to be "fresh" in a hobby and discovering new stuff. I miss that too.

I was looking through a Petersen's Photographic from 1994 and was bewildered when I suddenly realized, oh, yes, 1994. There wouldn't be any http:// addresses included on the bottom of the ads. But it looked weird.

Jeongyun
Tinkerer
Username: Jeongyun

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, June 08, 2009 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I stumbled upon this http://books.google.ca/books?id=H4h-5pobY0kC&printsec=frontcover

Glass, Brass, & Chrome
By Kalton C. Lahue, Joseph A. Bailey

Is this what you were talking about?

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer

Post Number: 40

Posted on Monday, June 08, 2009 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, that is it. Glass, Brass and Chrome. This was a short few pages of advertising like Shutterbug Ads. There were other contemporary buy/sell/trade publications but they all died off quickly when everyone went to Shutterbug Ads.

The only publication still existing is Camera Shopper (http://www.camera-shopper.com).

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 29

Posted on Monday, June 08, 2009 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think "Glass, Brass, and Chrome" is a hardcover book... A pretty good one, as I remember it. One of the very earliest camera collecting books had a similar title, but it was written by a guy named Gross. One of the first books made specifically for collectors that I found really useful was "Photographic advertising from A to Z." It was just a book of reproduced ads that could be used to date and identify things. Two more volumes came out, and I still like them, and I'd expect they probably turn up for sale now and then.
I bought a number of things from John Craig, who sent out periodic catalogs, and there were a few other dealers along that line. John Craig has a website now, and has some items for sale, but he deals mainly in reprints of instruction manuals and stuff. A good, honest, fellow.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer

Post Number: 44

Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 07:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes but there was a small quarterly publication with the same name. It was about 15 to 20 pages at most. The "ads" were half page or whole page there were more like a classified than a display ad. Very simple publishing.

Bill_alexander
Tinkerer
Username: Bill_alexander

Post Number: 22

Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I received the first issues of SA when they first started out in 1970-71..still have those editions somewhere..They were down to earth,,many interesting ads..when you could deal directly with the owners..I have also received
the RangeFinder Mag for free since 1975..I years
later re-Subscribed..but found the New Shutterbug
Ads..not Ads But Advertising..Few articals that
seems a re-hash etc..of the current crop of all
the digital craze..my how times have changed.. I
would enjoy just a regular Amount of For sale or
Trade Publication kind of like the Original S-A

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer

Post Number: 161

Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill have you tried Camera Shopper?

The only publication like Shutterbug Ads still existing is Camera Shopper available both online and as a paper publication (http://www.camera-shopper.com).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration