Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Film-based camera exasperation Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Film-based camera exasperation « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 56

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it just me or do any of you also find it annoying and questionable when someone says things like "I've never seen or used a film camera before" or "I've never used anything other than digital", etc.?

Really? Cameras were invented over 160 years ago. Digital really hasn't become mailstream (and worth using) until about 7 or 8 years ago and, even then, film cameras were still being sold. Has family unity deteriorated so much that no one has ever been photo'ed by their parents or grandpa? Surely, they all used film cameras.

All those people who say things like that should know it is just as lame as the people who say they don't know anything about Abe Lincoln because "it was before my time".

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 78

Posted on Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 01:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had people come up to me when out and about with a film camera, wanting to squint at the back to see the pictures.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 86

Posted on Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only thing that worries me a bit, just a bit, is that you wonder about how inextricably ignorant people can be.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer

Post Number: 57

Posted on Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Worry a lot. I found out when the results of the '04 election were announced.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 160

Posted on Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tell them it's a new format replacing digital.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 157

Posted on Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a ready-made excuse if I were ever stopped by an annoying young security guard if he saw me taking shots "where I wasn't supposed to" - I never take them in spots where it's illegal, but with security it's better to give them something than argue. I have an SD card that just fits where the film box end is supposed to be. I'd just tell him it's an old DSLR from before they had the video backs and I'll reluctantly hand him the memory card and leave. If he sees me wind it, I'll tell him it's just to move the mirror into place between shots. He may fall for it, others (not security) have already.

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 30

Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More often than not, I'm the only one at family gatherings, etc, shooting film anymore. I don't argue, I just admit to being a luddite, then go home and listen to some LP's.

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 79

Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 01:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 'dud SD card' trick made me laugh. My approach is slightly different ; where I live, security guards have no right to confiscate anything, and I'd politely decline any such instruction to hand anything over, and ask them to produce the court order. Handing things over may reinforce in their minds that they have the right to confiscate physical and intellectual property. Of course, if he's a seven foot wide sumo wrestler with muscles in his spit, you may want to consider that more pragmatic deceit...

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 158

Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's why I do it, an uninformed uniformed officer who's young wouldn't know the difference. I have a bunch of SD cards from a digital that keeled over two years ago. I found they fit, and I thought up the clever idea. Of course it doesn't work with every camera I have. My Miranda and my Minolta SRT 102 don't have the box end holder.

P.S. I tried a DSLR at a shop and was shocked how long it took between shots. I figured weak batteries or something. I'm scared of spending that kind of money only to lose another digital to a bad chip or other problems. $1k will buy a lot of film and processing.

Elwrongo
Tinkerer
Username: Elwrongo

Post Number: 22

Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've met a lot of people who say they've thrown out their film cameras because they thought they couldn't buy film anymore. The Uni where I work threw 20 Nikkormats into a skip when the school went digital(!!). I didn't find out until too late. I've stuck a 3cmx3cm photo of my dog on the back of my Super Isolette to show people who ask to see my shot on the LCD screen. Give security guards nothing. Remind them that they are paid company employees with no jurisdiction over anyone.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer

Post Number: 77

Posted on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Twenty Nikkormats. Man, that just hurts to hear it.

Liam51
Tinkerer
Username: Liam51

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 04:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Twenty Nikkormats in a skip!! hell I am crying!!

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 43

Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Almost as bad as the woman who told me she put a Rolleiflex in the garbage.

Rollei35guy
Tinkerer
Username: Rollei35guy

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 04:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found an Nikon FTN and an F2 at a thrift store for $15 ea. The FTN works great (after a couple tweaks). The F2 may yet still have life. Both have normal lenses and working metering prisms Truly amazing what people will throw out

When I'm out shooting I have a stick figure drawing I tape to the back of the camera for digital people to look at.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer

Post Number: 163

Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You guys have inspired me to tape a pic. of a nude woman on the back of my film camera. If someone asks to see the LCD screen I just tell them "I'm shooting in X-Ray mode". :-)

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 129

Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seems very much the same technology as the X-Ray goggles advertised in magzines when I was a kid (just below the the Italian wonder shoes)

Fredster
Tinkerer
Username: Fredster

Post Number: 39

Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A skeleton might be a bit safer.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration