Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Good, Reliable Repair Service Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Good, Reliable Repair Service « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thuggins
Tinkerer
Username: Thuggins

Post Number: 36

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did a search of the archives, but didn't run across a thread specific to this question. I'm looking for a good, reliable repair service for general work on old rangefinders, folders, etc. Something has happened with the guy I've used for years, and his overall quality has just gone to heck, so I need to find someone new.

I'm familiar with some of the more "brand specific" guys, but was hoping to find someone who could work on the pre-battery models.

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 24

Posted on Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The best place is where all the camera stores send them to get fixed. Strauss Photo Technical. http://www.spts.com/spts-01.htm

David_ritchie
Tinkerer
Username: David_ritchie

Post Number: 44

Posted on Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suggest that you contact Essex Camera Service, 100 Amor Avenue, Carlstat,N.J. 07072, Phone 201 933 7272. I have been well satisfied with their quality of service on several old Leicas, Nikon RF,and the like.I cannot speak of how their prices compare with others, but I feel that they were reasonable.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 188

Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might try Vermont Camera Works, in Pittsford, VT. They do estimates by mail or web. I've always gotten good service from them, and they stick to their estimates. I don't know how they compare on price, but I think they're reasonable, though not cheap. They've been in business for many years, and have a lot of experience with older cameras. They also sell cameras and equipment, and I've gotten some killer deals on worn looking but mechanically good equipment. No connection, just a longtime customer.

http://www.vermontcamera.com/

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 73

Posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, yes, you want to go with SPTS if you want it fixed properly. http://www.spts.com/spts-01.htm

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 90

Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 07:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve Swearengen at cameraclinic.com has provided satisfactory service for me, even doing perfect CLAs on Praktina and Mamiya 645 lenses.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration