Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon Demi Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Canon Demi « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gli72
Tinkerer
Username: Gli72

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 10, 2009 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear all,
I just got a Canon Demi on Ebay.
Meter seems to be alive! and so it is for the shutter speeds.
As soon as I can I'll try the camera in the real world!
Before that I ask you, and maybe someone of you will be able to give me a reply: it seem the shutter speed and the stops are linked/coupled: from f2.8 - 1/30 to f22 - 1/250.
No way to get a picture using uncoupled shutter speeds-stops.
Is this ok? or I'm missing something?
Sorry for the low-profile of my thread....
thanks
Giulio

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 72

Posted on Friday, July 10, 2009 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While not familiar with this camera you may find the answer at the following link:
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/canon/canon_demi_ee17/canon_demi_ee17.htm
Hope this helps.
Richard.

Gli72
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, July 10, 2009 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks a lot Ric, it helps, very interesting site but on my Demi (the one with the 28mm f2.8) it seems is only possible to use coupled shutter speeds/stops selection.
I hope some Demi users will come to save me! Anyway from tomorrow I'll start experimenting!.
thanks again!
giulio

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 114

Posted on Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 05:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Canon made 3 or 4 versions of the Demi with slightly differing specifications, but the 28mm f2.8 model has the coupled exposure selection. The only way you can get round that is to set the control to 'B' or flash.
The Demi's are great little cameras, the only problem to watch out for are light leaks. The seal around the film door will probably need replacing. Use 1mm or 1.5mm thick foam or felt material.
PS you will find the lens is an excellent performer at moderate apertures,but it is best not to stop down to f16 or f22, (diffraction??)

Gli72
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks gez!
and maybe do you know what is the shutter speed in flash mode?
yes I think the diffraction is the problem when you stop down to 16/22...but is a "common" problem stopping down lenses!

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 119

Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not specific for your camera but I think the most common on this type of cameras is 1/30.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration