Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Does this site work for you? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Does this site work for you? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 58

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After hanging out at this site for a while I'm just wondering, aside from repair advice, does anyone ever find/get the spare parts, etc., they are looking for? (No disparagement intended against the website). Just wondering.

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 72

Posted on Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes.

Not always, but several times I've found people who had just what I needed. Likewise, I had something for a couple of another member once.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 115

Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 03:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No,
Only once have I found spares and then only because we both had a liking for the same make of camera and could swap repair info etc.
A list of what members are prepared to sell/trade may be helpful.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 88

Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Long time ago, in another life, people here were VERY helpful, sharing parts and everything. Nowadays it happens you send spares to another country, incl. packaging and mail and you do not even get a reply saying thanks. So I learn I am on my own again, trying to look for tools and materials elsewhere/ anywhere. Comradeship, sympathy, participating in other people's joy over a successful project AND forum "membership" - a funny word, anyway - do no longer go together.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer

Post Number: 59

Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 07:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I kind of thought that was how things were going here. My general impression was this is a site for two types of people: genuine camera tinker/hobbyists who enjoy messing around with cameras and cheap guys who think any price a repair shop quotes is too much.

On the other hand, it is hard to part out a camera and get $5. for one part while the whole camera can be sold for $15. or $20. at eBay.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 162

Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 03:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've always met lots of generous people here with nothing but good results. I've found needed parts, gave away many spares n offered lots of help over the years.

Yes there are a few ingrates but they are far n few between. Just a tip, those are the people with very few posts.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 627

Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I fully concur with Paul's comments, I have only 'met' grateful people here - nothing ever taken for granted. In fact in a couple of instances my initial donations of small parts, that were of no value/use to me, ended with me being given items that were quite rare and which I had been after for a considerable time!

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 73

Posted on Sunday, July 19, 2009 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul_ron is one of the more helpful characters around here -- in terms of advise, part sources, and all-round friendliness. What a guy! Second only to Rick O!!

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 44

Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So far, I haven't found what I've asked for.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 631

Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Johnny,

I do not know what you have asked for. If it was information such as how to proceed, remove top etc, I am very surprised that nothing has been forthcoming.

On the other-hand - if you are asking for spare parts or accessories, then I am not surprised you have not had any luck. Not any off us have store cupboards bulging with redundant/spare kit, and it is also possible that you are looking for a somewhat rare item which nobody will want to part with!

Karl
Tinkerer
Username: Karl

Post Number: 39

Posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 02:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the short time that I have been a member of this forum I am constantly surprised how much time and effort members are willing to give.
Mostly I have found help or a direction to go in.
If I think I know something I will add a bit too.
So yes,it works for me.

Fredster
Tinkerer
Username: Fredster

Post Number: 38

Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am surprised when questions about obviously popular subjects get little or no response. I get the feeling that there are very few long time active members.

Harryrag
Tinkerer

Post Number: 103

Posted on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 02:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have known this forum for at least six years and with regard to mutual respect and tone among the participants I must say it was VERY different in the old days, before the necessity to give it the preset layout and re-shape it, and before the old archives were deleted by the administrators.
As a "member" I was somebody else then. I finally decided to quit because intruders had shown up with a somewhat arrogant attitude I did and do not appreciate at all. Over time I had got the feeling that the motives of those offering advice were no longer helpfulness and a willingness to share knowledge but demonstrating to themselves and the world how skillful and ingenious they were and so, and after several hundred posts, I absent myself for a while. Since my return I have seen more long time members go than new steady and reliable ones come. But membership is a pretty dismal term anyway as it is either just a matter of give-and-take or one's personal preference whether people consider themseves members, this is to say there is no badge "officially" saying that you are one.

After some time, I guess, people lose interest in repeatedly responding to questions of battery replacement, how to clean glass, etc. In my view it should be obvious that before one asks trite questions of that sort newbies are to try and find an answer in the forum's archives, as that is why they are there.
Often a correspondence in a thread suddenly stops, which is quite frustrating because you do not know if the one having asked for help could draw any profit from the advice given. And if long term members vanish serious questions of newcomers are often tutored by wannabe experts who give advice out of the blue and into the black which is definitely not what I am after.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer

Post Number: 155

Posted on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe they all went to the larger Yahoo group on the same subject.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 649

Posted on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harryrag's last paragraph is very pertinent, and can be applied to almost all leisure and some work activities. I am both of an age and professional background to have been taught how to look in the correct places for answers/help.

In todays climate of Google and mobile phones, it is very apparent that most people cannot even use Google correctly to answer the simplest query - they cannot sort out facts from the mountains of crap their rather ill advised search turned up. Time and time again I have found reams of correct information in seconds, when the correct search criteria is used.

The art of lucid communication has been lost in todays world, people walk about with mobile phones glued to their ears - saying what? Talking mere platitudes or absolute meaningless rubbish most of the time. Emails are even worse, no wonder the standard of the written and as a consequence the spoken word are falling.

Which ever way you look at it, mobile phones and the ability to search the web whilst on the move are not vital commodities to 99.9% of the population. It is just a means for various Multi-nationals to make money, the ultimate cash cow to enable the unthinking masses to be relieved of their cash.

The other serious problems with forums is the time they consume. I occasionally contribute to another forum (industrial history) and in the 3/4 years I have been a member, my post count is around 400. Another member who has been a member for approximately the same length of time has a post count of over 10,000!. I sometimes wonder where she finds time to visit the sites that are mentioned in her posts. Is all the information just being plagiarised from some other, perhaps incorrect source? Makes one wonder.

As a person, who over the course of his working life and hobby time has amassed a large amount of information, I am prepared to pass this on to others who might benefit from my experience; however, I am certainly not prepared to spend hours on a computer re-iterating information that a simple search will reveal. My time is a valuable commodity, if people are paying for my expertise that is a different kettle of fish, otherwise I have my life to live. Trouble is people are lazy these days. When I went to university we had to search the literature and make notes, not any more, students expect to be spoon fed these days and complain bitterly if they are not given photocopied handouts or direct web access to the facts. Actually having to do their own research seems completely alien to them.

Anyway enough of this rant - I am beginning to show my age. That will never do!

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer

Post Number: 156

Posted on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The multi-nationals have discovered that the masses do not develop mentally past the point of high school and there is a lot of money catering to an it's-all-about-me/I'm-somebody-even-if-I-have-no-redeeming-qualities population.

The worst part of that segment of the population is they have the personality of a shrew. They want what they want and if you don't give it to them they are ready to destroy you.

How many times have I given inside information to a newbie (not referring to here) only to be dismissed after they used it to elevate themselves and not come back to thank me. In fact, they turn their face away as if they always knew what they now know and I don't exist.

Well, my time is valuable too and, like you said, I could be off doing something else either to entertain or profit myself. So I see your point and agree with you on that.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 138

Posted on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm....this thread seems to be getting political! The other repair web sites, there are 2 major ones I look at regularly, have a happier bunch of participants but are not so skilled or knowledgeable as this esteemed forum.
We need to lighten-up, perhaps a discussion of the merits or otherwise of marques is in order. I'll kick off by stating that the Canon AE-1 was over-rated :-)

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer

Post Number: 157

Posted on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll drink to that. But I love the noise their shutter makes.

And, although some no-nothing newbie has been able to propagate erronious information and establish the myth of the "Canon squeek" I will tell you that Canon intended the shutter to make that sound to match. more or less, the sound effect of shutters as heard in the movies. Sure, you can "fix" the noise so it goes away but, you know.

Apart from that, and although I think the AE-1 Program is an alright camera, I have given up on the A series and T series Canon cameras even though, supposedly, they are being "given away" at the prices they sell for these days.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 650

Posted on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gerry,

Never been happier I can assure you! I learnt the secret many years ago - always strive to do your best but do not expect the same consideration from others. Thus over the years I have had many pleasant surprises and few disappointments.

As for the AE-1. Of course it was over-rated; but it's biggest crime was to get the ' it's-all-about-me/I'm-somebody-even-if-I-have-no-redeeming-qualities population' into thinking they could take interesting photographs all the time, because they failed to realise that correct exposure does not automatically lead to competition winning images.

Now I expect that will open up a can of worms if people take it too literally - might not lighten so much as liven-up.

Anyway my daily time quota (rigidly adhered to) on this infernal contraption is up, so I'm off to get a life - if there is such a thing at 2 o'clock in the morning!

Harryrag
Tinkerer

Post Number: 104

Posted on Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 03:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This, exactly this, is what I especially like(d) about being here, no: love, when spending my time - as limited & precious to me as yours to you, Glenn - an intelligent, witty, and enlightening dialogue between participants with an opprtunity or even a lesson to learn.
And, respecting 2 in the morn, that is a strictly European point of view, it is any other time on the dial elsewhere, this globe never sleeps!
There is life after breakfast, and, quite logically, also before it.
If things go on like this in this forum, perhaps my answer to the initial question of the thread will probably again be, yes, of course!

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 651

Posted on Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harry (I'll omit the rag), I am glad that a little light has fallen on your emulsion - so to speak. Clearly there is life before breakfast of sorts, but it ain't nothing like life after breakfast - when the pint of coffee has assaulted the system!

Tom's snapshot on the ever pervasive 'Canon Squeak/Squeal' is an interesting take on the origins of the problem. However; as the sound emitted by all the examples I have examined, is more akin to the sound that comes from the rat infested feed bins on the family farm, after I have dropped my Jack Russell Terrier into them - I do question the copying of movie sound effects.

I have photographic proof that a Japanese delegation visited the farm in the mid 1970s - Industrial espionage perhaps, on behalf of Canon, who were obviously searching for the most 'worrying' sound to warn of the onset of this serious fault.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 157

Posted on Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I am surprised when questions about obviously popular subjects get little or no response. I get the feeling that there are very few long time active members."

It may be because answers were given by us here many times over years ago.

Being one of those rare long time active members, I would say that I am still just a New Member after all of these years and that the old archives are long gone.

How much more time should I be dedicating to troubleshooting and repairing Minolta capacitor problems?

I have taken the time to spell out most of the repairs ever needed by the Contax 13* series cameras.

In the last year I have been dumped on by someone who bought a non-working Yashica FX-70 for three or four dollars and wanted to get it fixed in two or three sentences. Not having any patience, he wrecked it.

I didn't learn to repair cameras in that fashion and anyone who comes here looking for advice and hasn't patience to search the archives or the internet does not have a support problem. They have a training problem.

If you want to learn to repair a camera, you can get help here today on a step by step basis.

You are not going to get some kind of Michelin or Baedekker Guide to the top of the mountain in one response.

You will need to provide some of the effort yourself. If you find a lack of happiness here you may now have a better understanding of it, as you bring it here.

Mike

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 80

Posted on Monday, August 31, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's much in what Mike says. Someone who arrives in a forum and says 'I have a broken SuperWizzo X-1000, how do I fix it?' is less likely to incline someone to stop what he's doing and divert time to trying to work out what the person really wants to do, than someone who arrives and says 'I've tried this, and I've tried that, and can't go any further', and who shows he has exhausted his unaided abilities. Such a person is more likely to have someone drop what he's doing and give a hand. A helper is usually glad to help, but doesn't want to take charge of the whole enterprise. So the best way to get help is to show
initiative first.

Alex

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 164

Posted on Monday, August 31, 2009 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alex, Mike, you both nailed this on the head. Patience is a virtue many lack in social up bringing these days, now called ADD. Imediate gratification is not what this hobby/profession is all about. Tedious, deliberate, diligence is required in solving mechanical problems. Systems have to be learned and understood before putting a tool to it. Research was the call of the day, then reapirs began, then when it doesn't work out, asking for help or sharing an experiance so others can lear.

Kids today think fixing a camera and getting someone that "knows," should be able to guide them through the entire process, without ever seeing the thing as if this problem happens all the time. Maybe some do, most don't as a result of user/repairer error.

I've seen em come n seen em go. Most old timmers here have shared their life long knowledge n experiance, offered parts as well, all for their love of DIY. I've learned many tricks here, but I didn't learn it all in one day or by fixing one camera or getting one part... it took dedication n patience, love for the sport.

So next question please?

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer

Post Number: 159

Posted on Monday, August 31, 2009 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those little pansies. They should be whipped with a classic vintage '70s hippie neck strap.

But, seriously, I have looked with astonishment at postings here from people who suddenly found grandpa's camera, have no idea how to use it and then think it should be easy to fix. I read those and think I must have missed something.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 653

Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 05:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The seeds of this affliction were sown the minute a consumer use for the chip - silicon not potato - was found. Many of us here will be of an age to remember traveling hundreds, if not thousands, of miles in one's first car or on that first motorbike, armed with nothing more than a basic tool roll. Carefree days, now sadly drastically altered by the aforesaid chip.

Now; unless pressing a reset button and waiting the mandatory 30 seconds gets things moving again, the diagnosis requires even more black boxes. The remedy resulting from this always expensive diagnosis is inevitably the same, no matter what the broken down item is - car, camera, computer, washing machine even pacemaker etc. - 'the such and such module/battery/management system needs replacing'.

So the younger generations generally have no need for DIY repairs, they are impossible anyway unless you keep a vast stock of replacement modules. The car/automobile is the classic example - as a teenager I ran 20/25 year old cars and motorbikes as regular, reliable ( read repairable at roadside) and cheap transport. My son, who will be 25 years old tomorrow, never had a chance to sample that most enjoyable and educational experience. Anybody who has tried to keep the engine management system of a high mileage, 10 year old car working properly will know where I am coming from.

However; do not denigrate these youngsters, many five year olds will leave the 'old farts' standing when it comes to the intricacies of uploading photographic files onto these dammed 'machines', this poster included!

To some people the 'chip' has been part of their life even before birth, so they know not what they are missing. To those of us born BC - before the chip - things are much more complicated, some brave souls have embraced the enticing new world with never a backward glance. Some; perhaps more wary of change have managed to keep a foot in both camps and are I guess contented and happy, because they get real benefits from the modern world by making personal choices. There are then those of us who for whatever reason, just cannot get on with/accept this technological change.

And my stance on all this? I realise I am of the lucky generation, born on the cusp of change, by having experienced both 'worlds' so to speak I can pick and choose the best of both. Thus I do not spend what could be 'productive' hours on the internet, and my mobile phone is for emergencies only - I wasn't born with a phone in my ear, so why should it be a necessity now.

Bill_alexander
Tinkerer
Username: Bill_alexander

Post Number: 21

Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although I have not posted many times, I enjoy
reading through the inquries,for repare and restoration,this has been my main endeavor for thepast few decades.To salvage these wonderful
complex mechanical monsters and get a decent picture, out of a 35 year old Camera.I guess its
all about experience as far as being able to R&R
a brand of Camera..I must admit some times the
questions are Basic, and often asked..maybe these not so enlighted individuals, are good at
searching the Net,maybe just lazy?..I have for the most part found this Forum useful and the response to questions timely,and not demeaning
as to level of skill.I read the post and see the
pitfall, and it gives me a Idea of what not to do or buy..

Fred_the_oyster
Tinkerer
Username: Fred_the_oyster

Post Number: 21

Posted on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 04:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't posted too often either, though on the occasions that I have I've always had a helpful and valuable response from someone. I've unfortunately not been able to contribute to others' questions as often as I'd like; most of my acquired knowledge involves oft-repeated tasks like stripping and cleaning leaf shutters, which is so well documented that I don't have anything new to offer from my own experience. I certainly don't mind newcomers asking first - I would generally advocate having a try before asking, but when it comes to camera repair it's sometimes down to asking first before you break something!

Oh yes, and I own an AE-1 Program which has never squeaked and of which I'm very fond...

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 59

Posted on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't gotten any specific help or spare parts here yet either--but I have no doubt that if I stay around here long enough, I will. Besides, it's fun sharing this kind of information. So overall, I think this set of fora serves a very useful purpose.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 188

Posted on Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Funny, when you look at the join dates and the number of posts... most of us are 2006 when the software was upgraded n lost our real start dates.

Now look at the number of posts... very small. We don't talk trash here... we get to the point, n get off the bowl as fast as we can.

BTW this isn't a companies stock room, offering of advice n spares is kindness in the making.

Peter_johnson
Tinkerer
Username: Peter_johnson

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when ever i get chance,i always look on this site as there is mountains of help and advice.i read them all as i am interested in cameras and how they work.
i can not offer advise as i am an enthusiastic fix it person and often at times seek info and advice if i get unsure of things,not just this site.
if it was something i could genuinely help others with i would post something.
i for one, really appreciate everyones time and knowledge on here.
it is a shame to hear many people have helped others out and don't get so much as a thank you.
some people are just plain ignorant.
manners cost nothing.
thank you guys for what you do.
many would be lost without you.
pete

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration