Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Hello from Puerto Rico Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Hello from Puerto Rico « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 03:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

New to this forum. I have been a photography enthusiast for years and I like to tinker with old cameras. Over the years I have acquired several old cameras and I like to clean them up and try to use them. I am not an expert by any means so I hope to learn a lot from you.
Here is an example of a Brownie Holiday I got, before and after:

http://images50.fotki.com/v392/photos/4/1233394/8105847/IMGP0311b-vi.jpg

http://images41.fotki.com/v195/photos/4/1233394/8105847/IMGP0316b-vi.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 7

Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Ismael. Where are you on the island? Somewhere near Rio Piedras?

Nice Holiday. It uses 127 film. It is the camera my mother had before I was born. I have one here. What else have you collected? Do you find your cameras locally, on Subastalo.com or ?

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 50

Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ismael,
I've been collecting old cameras for many years, but I'm by no means an expert either. However, you came to the right place to find 'em. :-)

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks!

Finnegan, I'm in Arecibo on the north part of the island. But my office is in San Juan, not far from Rio Piedras.
I need to organize, clean and document my odd and small collection because I know it will grow :-)
I'm a Pentax fan since my first K1000 back in the late 80's. I now have a Pentax SV, Spotmatic, MV1, Super Program, my trusty K1000 and I'm currently using Pentax K100DS DSLR.
Other than that I have a bunch of odd stuff I've gotten from friends and relatives and the ocassional eBay score, apart from a bunch of digitals. I don't put a lot of money into it, so I don't buy mint stuff. Just dirty but functional :-) Cleaning and working on them is half the fun.
As soon as I get a chance I'll do a web page to document it.
Looking forward to learn from you all!

Thanks,
Ismael

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has been a long time but the best place I knew of for old cameras was the pawn shop around the side of the post office in Rio Piedras off of Calle Arzuaga (Calle Monsenor Torres?). Not sure if he is still in business. He was there about 15 years ago and it seemed like he had been there forever so he might have retired by now. If he is still open see if he still has that shiny French Kodak folding camera on his shelf.

Monte Piedad in Bayamon by the El Canton mall was sometimes good. They had a Canon F1N with the motor drive and lens for $125. once. Usually there was something there.

Don't know if the pawn shops that encircle the AMA bus corral in Rio Piedras still exist but I did swap a Yashica Electro for $20. + a Zeiss Contaflex ages ago.

If you ever go to Rep. Metro shopping center see if the Farmacia Gelpi still has its micro collection of cameras. I remember an old Rolleiflex.

Generally phoning all the pawn shops, tiny camera stores and photo studios will produce something if you ask. I mention tiny camera shops because the little one in Santa Rosa Mall (Bayamon) once had a few Linhofs on the shelf but I was too late to buy them.

Oh, yes, I started with Pentax also but I use mostly the alternate bodies made by Chinon or Sears (Ricoh). Of Pentax my favorites are the MX and the P30T but I don't have the MX.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 203

Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too much information Finnegan.

Ismael has gone off camera hunting and isn't coming back. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration