Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Electric lenses Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Electric lenses « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Moris
Tinkerer
Username: Moris

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hallo, Moris here,
Sorry for my ignorance, 70 and keen to learn....
Okay, to the point now. I have 6 Praktica's from LTL 1000 via LTL3 to LTL5 and 2 LCC's and 1 PLC3. Don't know much about Praktica's, got them from a car-boot-sale. I had one some 40 years ago but it vanished in the past... Out of the bunch of 6, 4 are working and 2 are'nt. 1 of those 2 will serve as study for learning to disassemble the camera. I have 3 lenses with contactdots (three) and labeled elecetric and serve for the LCC or PLC3 ( don't know the diff. yet). My question now is will they serve also on non electric Praktica's like the LTL's and viceversa will non-electric lenses work on the LCC or PLC3, will the lightmeter of these both camera's work with those standard lenses.
I know my question sounds maybe ridiculous but i'm really very uncertain and ignorant about those mix of lenses and camera's, but as i said before i will learn and keen to know the camera's inside out.
Ignore please faulty words or sentences for English nog my native Language.

Thanks in advance for answers.
Greeting from Belium
Moris

Moris
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Correction on my post Electric lenses. I have 6 Praktica's but only 4 came from a car-boot-sale, two others i had already for some time, i use them from time to time, they are a LTL1000Super and the other is the LTL. Both in perfect working condition. The problems i refer to in my prev.post refers to the 4 from the car-boot-sale.
So much to make things clear.
Greeting
Moris

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 204

Posted on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never had the electrics but understand the contact points are used to communicate the lens aperture setting to the camera light meter so that the lens can meter at full aperture. Earlier standard lenses (non-electric) have to be closed down to the shooting aperture in order to get a meter reading.

Ok, if the electric lens has a little pin sticking out from the back (the same as the non-electrics) then thay can be used on both cameras.

The Prakticas that I have had were the TL Super, a few from the FX series (FX, FX2 and FX3) and there was one LTL.

Just for your reference, in case you don't know already, all these lenses are referred to as being M-42 or Universal screw mount or Pentax - Praktica screw mount. The most popular lens mount ever so there are dozens of lenses from other cameras that fit the Praktica (but not with the electric feature). Among them are Mamiya, Yashica, Ricoh, Pentax, Fujica and Zenit.

Moris
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much for reminding me of the M-42 threading, forgot all about, now i can look for other brands of lensmanufacturer. Yes my so called electric lenses have the little pin sticking out so they work most probably also on my other Praktica's.
You mention (i quote) "Earlier standard lenses (non-electric) have to be closed down to the shooting aperture in order to get a meter reading" I don't quite understand that. When my non-elec's are on duty, the lightmeter also measures with full open aperture when on "A" (for automatic) All i have to do is to bring the needle of the lightmeter into the middel round spot by turning down the aperture of changing the shutterspeed.
Greetings
Moris

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 32

Posted on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moris Hi! All those lenses are interchangeable. Electric lenses on electric cameras [LLC, PLC, VLC series] will meter at full aperture. Any other combination will meter at stop down. That is the main difference. Sometimes, the electric lenses mounted on non-electric Prakticas will show a discrepancy between the scale reading and the actual focus through the view finder. In other words, it might focus to infinity even before the scale ring is fully rotated to infinity and the like. So you may have to ignore the scale and use actual focus through the VF. This happens because of the brass contact buttons on the electric lenses that stick out a little. Otherwise, all lenses are workable. Hope this helps. Regards, Subbarayan

Prasanna
Tinkerer
Username: Prasanna

Post Number: 33

Posted on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh! you have an enviable collection and a nice sample to learn the innards too! Enjoy the same!
subbarayan

Moris
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Prasana, you're right, with the long winter-evening's comming soon, i will get a lot of enjoyment by trying to repair some of my camera's. CLA Stands for Cleaning, Lubrificating and "A" i forgot..I understand not to use oil but rather fine graphite powder, am i correct...? Is everything in the camera to be 'oiled' with graphite powder..?

Greetings from Belgium
Moris

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 178

Posted on Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moris, I would never use graphite powder.

And don't do a "CLA" on a camera that seems to be working. Cameras which need service should have the old lubricant removed with solvent and be very sparingly relubricated with something similar to the original lubricant. There are lots of posts here on proper lubricants.

These cameras are more likely to have electrical problems due to staining of the many switches and contacts. Cleaning will solve those problems.

Have fun and Good Luck!

Moris
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 04:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mike, fine oil like the one used to oil sewingmachines will that do the trick...?
Moris

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 92

Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 06:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moris; Rather than sewing machine oil I would use a fine watch oil (only a very, very, small drop) as it stays in place whereas sewing machine oil will migrate to other parts. Most cameras are made to operate without the use of any oil.

Richard Creviston

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 93

Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 06:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S. Moris. The "A" as in CLA is Adjust.

Richard.

Moris
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard, thank you, now i remember, of course it is Adjust..
Next i was thinking of spraying a drop of "Rapid Rust Loosener" (with lubricating effect) on a cotton earswap to oil if nescessary. But only in extreme condition which i hope will never occur.

Greetings
Moris

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration