Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Newbie with an old Minolta and teleph... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Newbie with an old Minolta and telephoto ques « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Losaramic
Tinkerer
Username: Losaramic

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and in a way I'm new to taking my camera seriously. I've had cameras in my hands since I was 10 years old, but I have to admit I've had a telephoto lens for over 10 years that I never learned to use. My camera is a Minolta XG-1 which was bought for my 18th birthday, and its had a lot of basic use. The telephoto is a Minolta 100-300 / 5.6. I only attempted to use it several times in the past, without having a clue what sort of support it needed, so you can imagine the results. Now I'm finally interested in taking my photography much more seriously but my attempts to find a support for the telephoto lens online have only turned up one ad: for a Manfrotto. Surely Minolta must have sold supports for their telephotos lenses. I know this may be a dumb newbie question, but if I buy a support for another brand, will there be incompabability problems, or are they all pretty much the same?

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 214

Posted on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, my advice is to go to the library and get a good basic how-to photography book published before 1995. If your library has upgraded and no longer has older books then try a used book shop.

Next hint: your lens is a zoom. Buy a wide angle to go with it. Try a 28mm. If you want a zoom, try a 28-70mm or 28-80mm. Your Minolta uses the standard Minolta MD mount. Don't buy the Maxxum mount (autofocus). It won't fit.

Support? Any tripod or monopod will fit the camera. Use a tripod. Set the shutter speed to 125 or 250. Use ISO 800 speed of 35mm film.

Francis_otto
Tinkerer
Username: Francis_otto

Post Number: 31

Posted on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Losaramic,
Wasn't the rough-and-ready formula for hand-held lenses reciprocal of focal-length=shutter-speed ? i.e. 50mm: 1/50th.; 300mm: 1/300+th.
But perhaps your problems have been at the other end: with a maximum aperture of f5.6 (or is it f4 at the 100mm end, f5.6 at the longer end?)available light and film-speed could have been constricting things. Were there re lights flashing in the viewfinder-display? I would have thought an XG-1 would have warned you about potential under-exposure/too-slow shutter-speed. You can (just about!) use a 300mm lens hand-held, but you'll need to clasp the camera tight to your bosom, draw a breath, press the shutter-button with huge gentleness, and hope!
You want a Tripod (or a Monopod)? I have several I could sell you, but postage/shipping beyond the United kingdom would be disproportionate.

Jecicapapa
Tinkerer
Username: Jecicapapa

Post Number: 9

Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any tripod or monopod will fit the camera. Use a tripod. Set the shutter speed to 125 or 250. Use ISO 800 speed of 35mm film.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration