Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

AARRGGHH!! I just destroyed 87 years... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » AARRGGHH!! I just destroyed 87 years of a camera « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 25

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I recently acquired a No. 2 Film Pack Hawk Eye (1922-25) The camera is very similar to the Premo Jr No 1 Model B that I posted earlier, except this one is all metal.
It was falling apart in pieces but still complete. I managed to get it back together and just before final assembly, I was cleaning it. The inside of the back door has information written in printine orange letters. I just wiped the area with a moist rag and the lettering was ALL smeared and gone!!!!
AAARRRGGGGH!!!!
I will post pictures of it before and after the damage but right now I'm so mad I need to vent and cool down......

Thanks for listening,
Ismael

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 17

Posted on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What was on that rag? :-) Didn't think those letters were water soluble.

Ok, not the end of the world. First, let it dry. Next, using Q-Tips and toothpicks (plus more of whatever liquid was on the rag) gently remove the smear until the letters again have sharp/distinct edges/borders.

Next, you can restore the brightness or "solidity" of the lettering with paint of the type used by model train hobbyists or by fine tip magic maker. Model train paint comes in a wide variety of tints and flat/matte/etc. so it is more likely to find a color match for anything. Magic marker is 2nd best. In applying the color, use the paint sparingly on an ultra fine brush and dab it on. If using marker, tap the felt tip straight down to lessen visible streaking.

Ismaelg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 26

Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 04:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After 48 hours I'm still mad and blowing steam.
The rag had water dilluted Fantastik household cleaner. I'm still puzzled. The damage is "extensive". You can still read the information if held at an angle, but not "repairable" as far as I'm concern.
It is not really the end of the world, just my biggest drawback since I started tinkering with old cameras, as my approach has always been mimimalistic and on the safe side. The rest of the camera came out very nice so I guess I'll display it closed. I will try to get another back cover. Maybe from a parts camera or trade mine plus some cash for a pristine one.
I'll post a link with pictures later.

Thanks,
Ismael

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 13

Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most of us have had similar experiences, and I'm certainly no exception - I'd be ashamed to tell you about my worst failures, but I've gradually gained confidence and learnt my limitations as far as restoration is concerned. Just look at it as part of the learning process.

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 81

Posted on Friday, January 01, 2010 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No John-s... I'd be even more ashamed than you! My worst mistake occured not long ago, many years after I thought I left the 'novice' category. These things happen sometimes.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 35

Posted on Friday, January 01, 2010 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, since we're having kind of a reverse pissing contest here, I have to say that I recently ruined a camera I'd gotten at a flea market by trying to forcefully remove a screw that was a left-hand thread, snapping it off. And I certainly shoulda known better.

Jecicapapa
Tinkerer
Username: Jecicapapa

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

confidence and learnt my limitations as far as restoration is concerned. Just look at it as part of the learning process.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 241

Posted on Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Ismael. What is your latest restoration project? How about that Canon TX?

Ismaelg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 34

Posted on Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom,

I've been very busy at work. I haven't tinker with old cameras in almost a month :-(
The TX needs a lot of work. The shutter is stuck and the mirror is broken. But I haven't taken a closer look to see if it can be saved.
I did "restored" a monster camera: Polaroid J66. I'll post it soon.

Thanks!
Ismael

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration