Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Left handed camera ? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Left handed camera ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Karl
Tinkerer
Username: Karl

Post Number: 49

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All cameras seem to be made for right handers,where are the left handers.I know Fothflex made a TLR in left or right but that was a long time age.I am right handed so things are fine for me but should this be the case.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 100

Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure what you mean by a left-handed camera: the Moskva-5 (Soviet copy of Super Ikonta 6x9 folder) has the shutter release on the left side, so this might qualify. And my little Gewirette (127 viewfinder) has the wind knob on the left side (but the shutter release on the right).

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 170

Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My prewar RF Bessa has the shutter release and the focusing wheel on the left hand side.

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 47

Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right, in the thirties to fifties, Voigtländer had quite a run of left hand releases on their Bessa folders, from the 66 to the II. The Exakta was a entire SLR family with left handed transport and release. More recently the Fuji Silvi point-and-shoot had two configurable release buttons.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 280

Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Moskva 4 also has a southpaw shutter release - takes some getting used to if you are a rightie.

My girlfriend reckons that my Balda Baldessa is the most left-hander-friendly camera she's ever used, which is interesting as I don't think any of the controls are on the left!

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 743

Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adrian,

Top marks to your girlfriend, she understands - or perhaps instinctively feels - what many do not. In the pre auto focus days, the most important camera function to the serious action photographer was the focusing of their telephoto lenses. Using the standard layout SLR, the southpaw with their dominant left hand would/should be able to focus critically much more naturally. I'm left handed and being able to focus with my dominant hand served me very well during my professional days, holding the camera and operating the shutter with the right -hand felt equally natural and secure.

As I stated, AF has made this completely irrelevant. It is also true, that unless you have experienced using a motor drive SLR equipped with a long tele lens, you will probably have no idea what I am going on about! I am just glad that sensible manufacturers put the release on the right. I have experienced the 'left handed' Exakta family as my first employer used them extensively - 'ergonomic nightmare' would be a polite way of describing them!

Ctdogs
Tinkerer
Username: Ctdogs

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a new member, I would like to add one to the left-handed cameras. Kiev 6C has a shutter release on left side. Rumor has it that it was designed for a left-handed cosmonot.

Norman
Tinkerer
Username: Norman

Post Number: 31

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Exakta Varex has left hand wind and shutter release. I am left handed so bought one. I hated it.

Clay
Tinkerer
Username: Clay

Post Number: 36

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ken Rockwell has a left-handed Nikon F100 on
his home page. Here is what he says about it:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/about.htm#lefty

Best regards,

/Clay

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 806

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As the man himself states - "Reader Beware". This came up a couple of years back on this forum and I contacted KR about the alleged camera - his email indicated that April 1st or more water in the drink might be a way to explain this apparition. As far as I am concerned it don't exist. Anyway if Nikon or any other manufacturer were seriously considering producing a camera like this there would be a whole batch of consumer test bodies produced to test the market, leading to others escaping captivity. I have seen many design mock ups over the years from most of the major players but never a fully engineered one off.

As most left handed able bodied professionals will tell you, the need for the release and wind on to be on the left side of the body is a myth. Now for the disabled or people who have lost the use of their right arm the 'left handed' camera could be a salvation, unfortunately the economics do not add up as the number of people in this group is even less than the number of left handed photographers so the usual solution is to adapt the camera using a pistol grip.

Clay
Tinkerer
Username: Clay

Post Number: 37

Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, he does say some outrageous things at times.
I just posted it as an example of another
person investigating left-handed cameras. Don't
believe everything you see on the net.If its not
on the net, it never happened, right?
Best regards,
/Clay

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration