Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

[Gloat] Nice vintage light meter (Ber... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » [Gloat] Nice vintage light meter (Bertram Chrolon) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 127

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Today I spent a few hours with some friends at the Alameda Point "Antiques by the Bay" fair (in Alameda near San Francisco). The fair was much too big for us to see more than about a tenth of it. I did find just a few cameras for sale, nothing I wanted (except for a Clarus 35, which I do want, but they wanted too much for one in such crappy condition).

But I did score the cutest li'l light meter I've ever seen. It's a Bertram Chrolon, a little (2-3/8" diameter) round jewel with a lid that flips up when you push a button. But the coolest thing about it is the two little doors at the front that also open, revealing the selenium cell inside. Closing the lid also closes the little doors.

I got the thing for $15 and it works perfectly! I checked it against my main user camera (Canon A-1) and it's not even off by 1 stop.

Found a picture here (on someone's Flickr page).

I had never heard of this meter, nor this manufacturer (made in Germany). If anyone knows anything about it, I'm curious.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 256

Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ernst & William Bertram of Munich, Germany. Circa 1954 to '56.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 173

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 02:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom's right, it was manufactured by Ernst & Wilhelm Bertram of Munich. One of the first makers of lightmeters in Germany (est. in 1929). Maybe better known is their "Electro Bewi" (later Bertram Standard). The Chrolon cost a little bit over 50 German Marks in it's time which was about 20% cheaper than the Gossen Sixtomat 3x of that time.
You can also find some info about similar Betram meters here:
http://www.jollinger.com/photo/meters/meters/bertram_chronos.html

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 257

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you didn't find the big Bertram camera that goes with the meter?

Link: http://historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/librarium/pm.cgi?action=display&login=bertram

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 174

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course I found it but did not mention it as it is no lightmeter.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 130

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw that "kamera": boy, is that one ugly thing! Kind of the worst of 50s design.

The light meter, on the other hand, is quite elegant. Perfect for evening wear.

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 53

Posted on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The BCI is not that bizarre and ugly - it was something like the blueprint for the Mamiya Press and Koni Omega.

Being collectible, it is arguably overpriced for what it does (or rather, does not), apart from gracing cupboards - given a somewhat crude finder and requiring the equally crude Rada ("film curler") roll film holders, its not really worth twice or thrice the price of a Press or Koni by use value.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration