Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

What size is the Iskra? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » What size is the Iskra? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 134

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 01:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm confused (not a rare occurrence). I've been looking on eBay at Iskras, since I have a hankering to shoot some 120 in the 6x4.5 format (never have done so). I like the Iskras; sure, the Zeiss Ikon camera that it's a copy of would be even nicer, but waaaaay out of my price range. It's got everything I'm looking for: a small pocketable camera with a quality lens and shutter and a coupled rangefinder. What more could one want?

But I'm really confused: looking at auctions that seemingly show the same camera, some are 6x4.5 while others clearly are 6x6. Was the same camera made in both formats? Or is it like the Moskva-5 and other cameras that came with a mask to allow one to shoot a smaller format? I suppose frame counting isn't an issue, as it's done using the little red windows on the back.

I'm talking about the older Iskras, not the newfangled ones with the light meters and such.

Any clarification would be much appreciated.

Wupdigoj
Tinkerer
Username: Wupdigoj

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 01:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I wouldn't say the iskra is exactly pocketable. It is relatively large for a folder, and it weights a ton!. All Iskras are 6x6, but many of them has been converted to take 6x4.5, by adding a ruby window in the rear (automatic counter is usually broken) and some masks in the film gate and in the viewfinder. This can be usually undone, but as the frame counter will not probably work, another red window is mandatory.

Javier

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 135

Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 01:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Waaaaah! I'm disappointed.

So you're saying that all the 6x4.5s are conversions? Were they converted at the KMZ factory or elsewhere?

So are there any other 6x4.5 folding rangefinders out there in the wild? (I mean besides Fujis and other really nice but expensive cameras.)

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 54

Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 02:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are quite a few 6x4.5 RF folders - first of all the Plaubel Roll-Op and Super Ikonta 531A. In their trail there came a slew of Japanese clones (the format took off there more than anywhere else) - these tend to be hard to get, though, as few to none were exported.

Besides that, many pre war 6x6 and 6x9 folders (e.g. Bessa RF, Weltur) were dual format - but the mask inserts nowadays are mostly missing.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 136

Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, speaking of Japanese folders, I know Proud made cameras in this format (I have one of their 645s, the Model 50, but it's just a viewfinder). I'll keep looking.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 19

Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Japanese Mizuho Six IIB is also convertible to 6x4.5 by using integrated masks :

Mizuho Six 6x4.5 Masks

Another candidate with integrated masks is the Agfa Isolette L although it's not quite the 6x4.5 format.

Agfa Isolette L Masks

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 80

Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that you mention it, I have a Semi-Prince from about 1935. It is a 6x4.5 but has two red windows so what format would the mask (if I actually had it) or 2nd window be for? 6x2.25?

Mine is missing nearly all the covering and the bellows are gone. Would love to rebuild it even if it is only a so-so camera. I have the covering but don't look forward to building my own bellows.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 175

Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With the Bessa RF (6x9) with 6x4.5 mask inserted the two red windows were used as follows: Wind film until 1 appears in 1st window, shoot, wind on until 1 appears in second red window, wind until 2 appears in 1st window......
Maybe the Prince was to be used that way as well because of missing film numbers for 6x4.5?
Just a wild guess, I know.

Wupdigoj
Tinkerer
Username: Wupdigoj

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David. I am pretty sure that all the iskras were 6x6, that seems to be the general consensus. I have owned 2 iskras, one converted to 6x4.5 and, though neatly done, it was obviously a latter conversion.

Javier

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 26

Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The manual of the Iskra states that's a 6x6 camera. The two which i have are surely 6x6.

I have seen photos on the web from several conversions to 6x4,5. These were IMO done after the automatic filmtransport was broken and either removed or bridged and a red window was added to the back.

One thing is for sure, the filmcounter on the Iskra body only goes till 12 !

btw You can download the English version of the manual here :
http://www.mediafire.com/?emzcfei2jhs

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 103

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Chinese Seagull-203 could be a camera you are looking for. It is a 6x6 folder with build in 6x4.5 mask. It features a rangefinder, a wind lever and a nice design. However the mechanical qualitiy is weak. Most on the market are defective. And, as far as I know, the lens is just a 3 element design. However it should be ok if you stop down enough. The Seagull are usually easy to come by.

Rachely476
Tinkerer
Username: Rachely476

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hanskerensky - Thanks so much! Exactly what I was looking for.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration