Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Using a Camera can Overcome Shyness?? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Using a Camera can Overcome Shyness?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sareal
Tinkerer
Username: Sareal

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 12:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In fact, I have a little shy when meeting the new people. I happened to see a post saying that Using a Camera to Overcome Shyness. this is the link
http://www.stevesdigicams.com/news/using_a_camera_to_overcome_shyness.html

I fell some exited to see this post and want to buy a new digital camera to have a try and see if this method useful for me to overcome my shyness or not.hahaĦ­and it is also my interest

My most favorite things are in red and certainly I want to buy the digital camera in red. I have already searched it one day and finally narrowed it down to the two here
http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-EasyShare-10-2MP-Digital-Optical/dp/B001OC7ISK/ref=s r_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269480510&sr=8-2

http://www.sourcinggate.com/digital-cameras-online-dc579-12-mega-pixels-max-p-67 16.html

I post here and hope somebody can give me some professor suggestion?
any replies would be appreciated. Thanks!

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 222

Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 07:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suggestion 1: take your spam somewhere else.

Suggestion 2, a bit politer: get a classic camera - an old rangefinder, for example, or a funky box camera. People will be amused, you'll get more smiles from your subjects, and people will not suspect you of being a spamming scumbag who cannot understand simple posting rules.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 227

Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What he said.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 211

Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

M_Currie:

FTW!

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 64

Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, since I'm not the FIRST one to get into this thread, I'll bite. It sort of reminds me of a photography course I took in college, back about 1970... One of the assignments was "Strangers at less than 10 feet." That took a little brass. Anyway, to keep it on topic, I was using an Argus C3. :-)

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 212

Posted on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 02:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mndean: ftw? really? why so serious? I thought p.o, perhaps f.o was enough.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 758

Posted on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sadly this forum does not have a 'report inappropriate post' button, so clearly the best option was to completely ignore the original post - even if the poster's enquiry is genuine it clearly has nothing to do with classic cameras.

M_currie's idea of using the classic camera as an 'icebreaker' is spot on; however, his choice of equipment can be improved on in my opinion. Set up a nice vintage brass and mahogany plate camera and contemporary tripod in the middle of a crowd of complete strangers and they will be queueing up for a peek under the focusing cloth. Been there, done that and had a very interesting afternoon into the bargain!

However I do feel that being abusive to somebody who obviously does not use English as their first language is unnecessary and counter productive - hence my original comment about ignoring these spurious postings

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 212

Posted on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FTW, for the win! Best sarcastic remark to a spammer (from end of M_Currie's suggestion #2). That's all I meant, Harry. Hardly serious. One needn't always be serious.

Glenn,
The problem is that we can become overrun by posts from people who do not understand English well enough to read the rules (this includes those who speak English natively, or haven't you noticed?), and since nobody appears to clear the spam out, we're on our own. Mild/moderate abuse has its place in defense of forums. Ignoring spammers may not encourage them, but it doesn't necessarily discourage them either. Look at the free-floating advice initially posted in this thread - it requires no response, except for some advice at the end. It will hang there and may deceive naive users into believing that such posts are acceptable, but unanswerable. I myself asked a perfectly acceptable question (about dismantling a Primo Jr. to clean the shutter) that got not a single response. Was it spam to be ignored? A few RTFR posts can keep the pests down to a minimum. Does nobody remember how Usenet has been dragged down? Any other forum can be dragged down similarly without a bit of vigilance.

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 161

Posted on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This did strike a chord regarding a nude model photo-shoot I was doing some years ago. The model,(bless her), asked what film I was using. Dead-pan I replied, "What film?"

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 760

Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 04:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So we have met before! Same dodgy macs buttoned up to the neck, the model sitting on some rickety chair hidden in a haze of cigarette smoke! Oh the hidden joys of miss spent student days, in an era when PC only referred to a type of plug and socket!!

Francis_otto
Tinkerer
Username: Francis_otto

Post Number: 35

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I must remember that.
'What film are you using?'
'Dead-pan.'

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration