Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Is this Kodak No 1A Pocket folding mi... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Is this Kodak No 1A Pocket folding missing a lens? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 49

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 05, 2010 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I'm not yet very familiar with these folding cameras. I just got a tired and dirty Kodak Pocket No.1A folding from the 1920's. There is a lens behind the shutter but no lens in front of it. The aperture iris is in front of the shutter and both seem to work properly at the different settings. Should there be a lens in front of the iris? Everything looks to be otherwise unmolested.

Here is a picture of it.
http://images56.fotki.com/v1597/photos/4/1233394/8617138/IMGP5883b-vi.jpg

As soon as I get a chance I'll start working on it. It needs a lot of work but to me these are some of the most beautiful and elegant cameras ever made.

Thanks,
Ismael

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 259

Posted on Monday, April 05, 2010 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm; very strange looking front of the lens there. But it looks complete. (Someone else will have to confirm.) No threads to be seen there, right?

Just checked my No. 2A Folding Cartridge Hawkeye Model B, which has a front element in front of the iris.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 260

Posted on Monday, April 05, 2010 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, that picture is a perfect optical illusion.

You know those pictures that can be viewed in two different perspectives equally easily? At first, I saw a recessed area around the diaphragm, with the diaphragm a strangely-protruding assembly. Try it; it's weird.

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 65

Posted on Monday, April 05, 2010 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd say it's complete. Quite a few of the old folders had a single lens back behind the f stops and shutter. They did things differently back then. :-)

Milosdevino
Tinkerer
Username: Milosdevino

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 02:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes it's complete. I have seen quite a few old folders just like this. The ridges around the orifice are there to stop flare.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 05:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, cool 1A. :-)

Yes, that Kodak is ok.

Some of the cheaper versions have only a single element/meniscus lens in the rear (like the box cameras).

When I started out collecting cameras and found one like this it got me all quizzical too.

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 90

Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you check the bellows for "pinholes"? The bellows on these seem more prone to that problem than others. Open the back and put a tiny flashlight (or lightbulb on a wire) inside and look at the corners of the bellows. Not a problem really since this is a display camera.

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 50

Posted on Friday, April 09, 2010 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for the response.
I can't wait to start working on it. I'll also check for the pinholes. Thanks for the suggestion. But I'm heading out of the country on business for about 2 weeks, so it has to wait.

Thanks,
Ismael

Jake4u
Tinkerer
Username: Jake4u

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently purchased this camera.It is supposed to open and foldout and lock in on a slide. I am unable to lock in . Is it missing a piece or am I not grasping the idea? Does anyone live in the Chicago are that would be willing to examine the camera? Kodak Autographic Junior 1A

Thank you

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 73

Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howdy Jake4u
I'm not sure just what's going on with your camera... Ismael's example sort of automatically snaps out to a fixed spot. The Autographic Juniors I'm familiar with are slightly earlier, and have a lens standard that manually slides out on a rail after the door is opened. Nothing locks into place until a small catch on the standard drops into an appropriate notch on the focusing scale... Perhaps that little catch on the side of the base of the standard is missing? Even if it is, the camera would still be quite usable if you can score some 116 film.

Keith
Tinkerer
Username: Keith

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have one of these, the front element of the lens is missing in the image posted. The lens is a Kodar 111mm f7.9 ALso the linkage on the drop down base is different from mine, it looks more like the likage on my Pliant Si-20.The camera takes 120 rollfilm which is still available. A lot of later Kodaks use 620 film which is the same dimensions as 120 but has a different spool, a Kodak patent. Inside the removable back there should be a list of patents with dates which will give you an idea of when the camera was made. Also the serial number will be found on the back of the drop down propstand

Ddupree79
Tinkerer
Username: Ddupree79

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, January 06, 2012 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Finnegan is correct. This camera is complete. I have several Kodak Autographics. Though mine are older, I have a couple similar to yours. The less expensive versions have a single-element/meniscus lens behind the shutter, such as this one.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration