Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contaflex I Opinions Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Contaflex I Opinions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jade33339
Tinkerer
Username: Jade33339

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone have an opinion about the Contaflex I? What do you love, hate, and what should I know about this camera?

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 298

Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 05:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Love: Good lens, nice shutter speed range, compact, well built, unique design, looks good.

Hate: No interch. lens, no way to clean the mirror or screen without disassembly.

Tips: To see how much foam has deteriorated in the mirror box area, look through the lens.

Ir8d8r
Tinkerer
Username: Ir8d8r

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I collect Contaflex SLR. The first model is by far the least expensive to purchase today but not the most versatile because the lens system was underdeveloped. My choice for an early Contaflex would be the IV because it uses all the later lenses and has a good meter. My favorite of the line is the Super B. Automatic exposure without a battery.

These cameras were some of the most complicated mechanisms ever devised for photography and there is a lot to go wrong. I understand each of the later models took 20 man hours to assemble and with the Contarex and it's thousand plus parts nearly bankrupted Zeiss Ikon and ended their camera manufacture. These cameras sold for over $500 US when new in the late 60's and early 70's.

Today a Contarex late model will cost you $1500 -$2000. You should be able to get a Contaflex IV for under $50 or a Super B or Super BC (Mercury battery and CDS meter) for under $100 in working condition on EBay (Be sure the light meter is working).
Contaflex 1 I wouldn't pay more than $20-$30 unless it comes with the Teleskop mount and telephoto lens. The mount will be the most expensive part of that trio.
Most common problem with the C-flex early cameras is non-working shutter clockwork/shutter and that can usually be fixed cheaply with a few sprinkles of lighter fluid around the edge of the focusing ring (left side facing you and work the shutter set on "1"). If you want to work on these buy a set of Watchmaker's tools and a good bench magnifier.
All of the line have the highest quality glass and lenses that were ever used in a camera or probably ever will be. They take marvelous photographs when clean and working. I like the Icarex too as an option between the Contaflex and Contarex. Not as many lenses as the Contarex but far less expensive and a very nicely made instrument.

IR8D8R

Verduzcor
Tinkerer
Username: Verduzcor

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Contaflex super the earlier, last year i made an attempt to fix the shutter but was afraid to damage this jewel and only washed it with a slow evaporating solvent.
At my nephew wedding, none camera's batteries lasted all day, then I took the greatest shots at night with this tank and some more along the party.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration