Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

I have a minolta xg7 i need some help Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » I have a minolta xg7 i need some help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adler1
Tinkerer
Username: Adler1

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok so i have a minolta xg7 camera with a ton of things im not a camera wiz so i need some help below is a list of what i have and i have the books and everything in the box and the books havent even been takin out of the wrapping how much is this worth that i have ? please send me an email to [email protected] and in the subject put minolta thank you for your time or post here ill check back in a few hours

items i have :

minolta xg7 camera

minolta photo flash unit (auto 200x)

minolta md 35mm (f2.8) (f1.5)

g-e exsposure meter type (pr-1)

minolta 75-200mm (f4.5)

md zoom rokkor-x

vivtar 55mm skylight (ia)

minolta md rokkor-x 50mm 1:17 55mm

kait non - glare ia 55mm

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 301

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why trust us to know or be accurate when you can be sure by checking completed auctions at eBay?

But, anyway, Minoltas are down this year. If your camera is even working (it is an X series, after all) and with those mundane lenses, hmm, try $50. in your next garage sale. If nobody buys it in the first hour, drop the price to $35.

Old flashes: you don't know how many times they have been shot so they get thrown in as a freebie.

Old meters (like that one, especially): usually not accurate or can't be tested for accuracy on the spot so toss it in as a freebie.

Filters: Freebies.

So it comes down to a camera body with the 50mm lens (supposed to go together as 1 unit anyway) and the two lenses.

Adler1
Tinkerer
Username: Adler1

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

its only been used a couple of times

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 302

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

X series Minoltas have a capacitor in them that goes bad over time regardless of how often it has been used so perfectly "like new looking" cameras (like the mint condition XG7 sitting here in my pile of junkers) may or may not work. Put some batteries in it and give it a good test and then you will know.

Forgot to mention earlier that film camera prices are way down because of digitals. Film cameras are being dumped by the thousands. Add to that, older Minoltas and Canons use a lens mount that cannot be adapted to more modern cameras or digitals and that drives their prices down even lower than other similar film cameras.

As they said on "Black Friday" in 1929, "Sell, man, sell. While you still can." :-)

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 77

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would tend to agree with Tom.
The XG-7 is a nice looking camera, but has a bad reputation for reliablity. Certainly not an everyday user. The 50mm lens is a good one, but it is quite common (and underrated in my opinion) and therefore not worth much.
By the way, there are inexpensive adapters available to use these lenses on digital SLR's. I use Minoltas on my Olympus and they work great.
If you want to know the value, check out completed listings on Ebay, as Tom suggested.
Remember, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration