Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

The pride of my (and likely anyone el... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » The pride of my (and likely anyone else's for that matter) collection: A space flown Nikon F3HP 'small' camera « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Spudpotatohead
Tinkerer
Username: Spudpotatohead

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here it is ... an ultra rare Nikon F3HP modified for NASA and flown on two shuttle missions (sts-49 AND sts-63) including the maiden voyage of Endeavour.

My pride and joy

Ever since seeing an ad back in the 80s for Nikon promoting their F3 and the space program, I have wanted a real space flown camera. Even though this particular one has flown twice, it is in remarkably good condition and the shutter is strong. As it is very rare to see a modified camera for space travel, I thought I'd share with you all some photos of the gear so that you can see the differences between the off the shelf F3 and the NASA version. I've got my feelers out compiling more information about this model and am in contact with a few folks at NASA and have even reached out to Nikon's Japanese division to learn more since the camera was built in the Ohi plant in Tokyo.

I must admit it feels fairly odd to be holding it in my hands knowing its place in history. Not only is the body modified, but the lens, a 35mm F1.4 AI-S, is custom as well. It weighs about twice that of a standard consumer model. Numbers are large for easy viewing. Distance scale is in feet only. Screws cover holes on the focusing ring to accommodate the instalation of a multi armed focus bracket to enable easier focussing wth (big) gloves on. Too cool! I've had it in my hands for just over 24 hours and I can't take my eyes off it.

And sorry, its not for sale.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 303

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cool. I bought/had/sold two Polaroid Spectras with "Property of NASA" labels on them. Likely they didn't go "up there" but, surprisingly, I got next to nothing for them at eBay. Same for the 4 or 5 pieces of equipment with labels saying "Apollo Project". Remarkably, virtually the same equipt. was shown and touted as being priceless pieces of history on the "Antiques Roadshow" with values 20x to 40x of what I got.

Spudpotatohead
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Value is in the eye of the beholder I guess. This baby will go to the grave with me however as its that valuable to me.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 276

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just curious: where are you getting all this exotic gear you're telling us about here? (If you'd have to kill us if you tell us, then never mind.)

Spudpotatohead
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK folks, I have cobbled together a white paper of sorts from all of the information I have collected thus far on the F3 small camera in the space program.

Many people contributed to the information on this page so I hope you will find it an interesting read.

http://www.onevisionphoto.com/nasa.htm

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 38

Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quite a lot of work you put in that Webpage Timm. Thanks for publishing !

btw Saw this Lunar Mission Hassy on a space exhibition in Germany. Closest i ever got to a NASA camera ;-)

Lunar Mission Hassy

Spudpotatohead
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2010 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very cool!

I added a new boy to my collection. Its a NASA modified N90S/Kodak DCS 460c 6.4 megapixel digital camera - serial 460-1848. This one, being a digital camera, means that all its images were logged with EXIF data so when I search the NASA image database, I was able to track down images that were taken to my specific camera. Very cool to say the least. Mine flew on the first mission of the International Space station - take a load of this shot it took of the Shuttle!

The shuttle Endeavour, as seen from the International Space Station

Edward8
Tinkerer
Username: Edward8

Post Number: 25

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2010 - 11:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spud.

Um. What does "very cool" mean, under the circumstances?

If it was "very" cool - "very" is a non word - does that mean it was near freezing point? When you state it was ... "cool", was that due to environmental factors - that is, weather - or some other consideration?

If the object in question was "very cool", the question has to be asked: Will the seals survive the chill?

Do not get me wrong. I regard the pic of the shuttle as interesting. Looks quite warm weather, actually. Do you reckon one of those warm tanks would sit comfortably with my barbecue down by the back shed?

My wife's cousin is a scientist, who worked for NASA. There was a problem with communication between spacecraft and Earth. J solved the problem. Something to do with moisture on antennas. Have spoken with J lots of times over copious amounts of good red wine. I pick his brilliant brain. He is precise in the words he uses.

If - and when - he uses the word "cool" it will relate to the temperature of an object, or obtaining weather conditions.

What - at the risk of coming across as a boring old fart - do you mean by "very cool"?

Spell it out. Tell us what you think! By the way, I do share your fascination with this stuff!

Regards. Edward.

Rachely476
Tinkerer
Username: Rachely476

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! I’ve just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration