Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Blurry photos Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Blurry photos « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 30

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just started experimenting (learning) with a medium format TLR. After scanning my negatives, I was surprised that many of them are not as sharp as I had expected. Then it hit me that I may be using too slow of a shutter speed. The old rule of thumb for 35mm was the minimum shutter speed for most people is the reciprical of the focal length of the lens. Since the TLR has a focal length of 75mm, would it make sense that trying to shoot hand held at a 1/50th second would be pushing it?

I did have some sharp photos, so I feel the old triotar lens is performing better than I am.

Experiences of others would be appreciated. If I can shoot this thing correctly, I think I will really like it. It is a Rolleicord II.

Thanks in advance.

Dsides
Tinkerer
Username: Dsides

Post Number: 25

Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howdy Denny,
The shutter speed shouldn't be any different as far as steadiness goes - I've noticed that it's harder for me to hold it as still as an SLR though. (Not to mention holding it as level...)

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 32

Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found the level issue also. I will just have to practice. With a SLR, it is somewhat braced against the head. My head is harder than my belly.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 772

Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a knack to holding a TLR when using slow shutter speeds - in some respects the technique is similar to that used when firing a fullbore rifle, once leant it will never be forgotten.

The camera must be fitted with a strong neck strap adjusted to give a comfortable viewing distance. After composing the shot and focusing one tensions the neck strap by pulling down on the camera, whilst doing this one breathes out and then releases the shutter. With experience you will get sharp images at shutter speeds far slower than 1/50.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 308

Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(insert here that long incredulous disappointed look that Walter Matthau was so good at).

Reading these postings, it is amazing so many good sharp photos were made with a hairpin shutter box camera @ 1/25th on slow Asa film by so many white haired grannies and other people who knew nothing about photo eq. and, yet, (you fill in the rest). :-)

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom - that very thought entered my mind. As a kid, I remember having to look into the sun, being told "hold still" as mom slowly snapped that old brownie box. But - they were mainly contact prints. Today we get to pixel peep. :-)

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 301

Posted on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did someone say Box Brownie?

The secret - for me, who is pretty slim - of steady shooting with a box camera is to prop the back of the camera up on my belt and hold it into my stomach. Piece of cake. Of course, if you've got the figure that suggests you like your cake, it might be a bit harder...

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 74

Posted on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never used a TLR, but my biggest problem with waist level finders is simply one of "marksmanship." I can remember trying to take a picture of a nearby walking moose from a canoe with a No.2 Folding Cartridge Premo... Not an easy thing, for me...

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 73

Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Denny,
the fact you ask about slow shutter speeds suggests you might be shooting in relatively low light and possibly wide open lens. Remember, that MF at f:4 does not have all that much of DOF, so if your subject is moving might mean, it just left the DOF...

Also, Rolleicords have this sideways moving lever for shutter release. It kind of encourages jerking camera sideways as the shutter trips, if not held properly.

Last but not least, if your beast is old, it might be misadjusted. Take a sample picture off a tripod, wide open, focusing on some sharp-edged object. Take care to have something structured extending from close-range to far-away in the frame, e.g. canvas tablecloth, tiled floor etc., so if your subject turns out out of focus you may figure if the focus was too close or too far.

Marek
who just tried to bring his three 6x6 TLRs all to perfect working and almost managed.

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 34

Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marek - that sideways shutter does feel unnatural. I attribute that as a part of my struggle. I am just getting into MF. The first roll was from a Zeiss Ikon Nettar and I was pleasantly surpised. But it handles much more like a 35mm in that it is eye level viewfinder. The TLR still feels strange in technique. The good side was that I did get a few sharp photos so I feel the focus and optics are definitely better than the technique in this part of my learning curve.

Right now, I have a couple of more shots left on a Ricohflex and I will see what I get out of that, then back to the Rolleicord and try again. This time I will make sure to get some sunny 16 shots and get the shutter speed up to 1/100. I think all of the first roll were 1/50 except one at 1/10. That one wasn't hand held and was one of the sharp ones.

I think more experience will help, but wondered if handholding a 75mm lens at a 1/50 sec was unreasonable. From the numerous, helpful responses, I am convinced I need to work on technique and that the numbers were reasonable. I was trying to keep the lens stopped down to at least f/8, but using a slower shutter speed. The last photo was pretty well wide open on the lens at 1/50 and ended up being one of the best.

Thanks to all that have responded.

Bill_alexander
Tinkerer
Username: Bill_alexander

Post Number: 25

Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My experience with TLR Cameras is such that if you cannot fit the Camera, with a cable release
you may get some OF shots due to stabbing the shutter, The normal lowest shutter speed,depending on film speed should be 1/30th of a second at say asa 100/200,aat maybe F/8..assuming you are in cloudy bright conditions.
I do not know film speed or type, but would suggest shutter speeds higher than 1/30 to start.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 75

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 03:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Denny, does your Rolleicord have, besides the sideways moving lever, a cable release socket that is pointing upwards? Do you have a 'nipple button' for that (cable release without a cable, i.e. a screw mounted button)? This is actually a better solution than the sideways moving lever, still poor though as compared to the release button of a Flex or Yashica.

Marek
PS: I don't advocate using an actual cable release while hand-holding.

Edward8
Tinkerer
Username: Edward8

Post Number: 10

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 06:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To be on the safe side with a TLR, don't go below 250th - unless you know what you are doing. There is a huge neg to deal with and it pays to give the camera every chance. The operator's job is to ensure that the camera is steady. This comes with practice. All the best.

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 36

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marek - mine has a cable release socket, but is pointing down and to the left as you look at the front of the camera. I put a cable release in just for testing. When you cock the shutter, the lever just about hits the cable.

Thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration