Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lens Cleaning ? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Lens Cleaning ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jayd
Tinkerer
Username: Jayd

Post Number: 82

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some where I read from a reasonable source that one need not waist money on special lens cleaning tissues but that plain( no lotion or fragrance) facial tissues are every bit as good. After having seen the coarseness of the dried paper from Carl Ziess pre whetted lens cleaning tissues I am thinking this may well be true. I am also not convinced that all micro fiber clothes are created equal and if reused what is to say they may not have picked something up. Maybe one is as well off blowing off,then using facial tissue whetted with a good lens cleaner?

Jay

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 123

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem I have with facial tissues is lint.
And yes, not all micro fibre clothes are created equal. I prefer the smooth ones (with a slight shine). The ones that are "fuzzier" tend to leave small fibres when used with any type of liquid.
The micro fibre clothes do have to be washed regularily as they pick up dirt and oil when in use.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 813

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The whole point of micro fibre is that it is supposed to pick up the dirt and grease/oils, but if you have a proper cleaning regime - blow off, initial clean with a small micro fibre cloth and then final polish with a larger micro fibre cloth - you find that the small cloth is easily washed and dried and the large cloth will not require washing for ages, especially if kept in a plastic bag/wallet. Never wash your micro cloth in powdered detergents, you will be surprised at the amount of 'grit' that some products contain when viewed under a microscope - just use a few drops of washing up liquid.

As for the facial tissue debate: - I would say that this is another piece of crap generalisation off the internet, unless one is very choosey when selecting the source of the tissues and I state this with plenty of actual evidence under my belt. Having poor eye sight I wear glasses 24/7 and as my prescription is -9 / -10, up to 2 years ago my lenses were always made from multi-coated high index glass. Having never liked looking through mucky smeared lenses, I always used to clean these very regularly with the UK's leading brand tissues. My thinking being that these nice soft tissues will not harm the hard coatings - WRONG - after approx 12 months the coatings always started to exhibit fine scratches. Fed up with carrying a fair weight on the bridge of my nose everyday, 2 years ago I decided/was persuaded to go coated plastic and titanium frames; however, I was very worried about scratching the coatings on a pair of lenses that required a second mortgage to purchase! So it was out with the tissues and in with the micro fibre cloth, plus a quick rinse in Fairy Liquid as and when needed. After two years the coatings on the plastic lenses exhibit no scratches whatever and research has indicated that both the coatings on the glass and plastic lenses have the same surface hardness. As far as I am concerned facial tissues have no place in any optical cleaning process.

Now many of you will probably think I am just being plain stupid or daft; however, I think the proof is in the condition of the coatings on all the photographic lenses that I purchased from new. These optics have always had their front elements protected by filters, rear caps fitted when not on the cameras and have always been cleaned by proper optical cleaning media/agents - so even after hard professional use the lens surfaces/coatings look factory fresh.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 124

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's a good idea to use two micro fibre cloths.
Thanks for the tip!

Jayd
Tinkerer
Username: Jayd

Post Number: 84

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you both for your contributions.
I also like the two micro fiber cloth Ideal. And tend to like the slightly shiny surfaced ones best with 3Ms type coming in a close second. I would not use any that are not a recognized brand name, some look as if they are regular cloth that has simply been rubbed with some kind of abrasive. As for the Pre whetted tissues I suppose if there is enough lubricant you can get away with an aggressive paper ,but I have to recommend against them.
Interestingly some Dow Corning silicone treated lens cleaners/ polishers were on Ebay, so much for the myth that silicone is damaging to glass and coatings.
I hope this discussion is informative to others as it has been for me.

again thanks
Jay

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 87

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I certainly concur wtih Glenn's observations about using facial tissue for lens cleaning, BUT...

camera lenses need cleaning a lot less than spectacles and the potential for damage is significantly lower.

I am a full-time wearer of corrective eyeglasses (athough not 24/7, I take mine off to sleep) and clean my glasses twice a day at a minimum. I clean my camera lenses every two or three years, if needed. The difference is HUGE!

In general I think people worry way too much about this topic, but since microfiber cloth is inexpensive, if not free... it makes good sense to use that even for low frequency cleaning of optical surfaces.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 815

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 24/7 was 'tongue in cheek'; however, if I sleep in a strange room and forget where I put the damn things down the night before I sometimes wish I had slept in them. One feels rather daft having to ask the missus if she can see your specs so that one can then sort your clothes out!

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 88

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I once fell asleep wearing "daily wear contact lenses"; they dried out, shrunk and stuck to my eyes -- like cling-wrap. It took quite an effort to rehydrate them. I'd rather feel daft looking for spectacles than have cling-wrapped eyeballs again!

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 818

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That sounds rather painful!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration