Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak 3A Folding Hawk Eye Model 3 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Kodak 3A Folding Hawk Eye Model 3 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mikeguyver
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeguyver

Post Number: 21

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 07:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just acquired a Kodak 3A Folding Hawk Eye Model 3 camera yesterday (see attachments). I tried to find some information on the web and found two cameras closest to this model. One is a model 3 http://www.bvipirate.com/Kodak/No3FHE-2.html which the shutter assembly is in a different configuration and a model 5 http://www.bvipirate.com/Kodak/No3FH-1.html which has the same body and different shutter assembly.
I would like to narrow the production dates on the camera. Your input is appreciated.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 49

Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The McKeown's price guide lists all 4 models without distinction as having a production run from 1908 to 1915.

So that is 8 years production run divided by 4 models comes out to one new model every two years ergo the Model 3 is 1912-1913.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 309

Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

According to the site below, production ran from 1910 to 1915.

http://www.brownie-camera.com/hawkeye.shtml

Although it's not one of the cameras listed, sadly, if you click on any of the thumbnails here: http://www.geh.org/fm/brownie/htmlsrc/index.html
you will get an idea of the changes through a cameras production. I have a No2 Folding Pocket Brownie Model B (snappy name!) with red bellows. These came in for the UK in 1911, and everywhere else in 1913, so I'd suspect your camera is probably pre-1913.

Mikeguyver
Tinkerer

Post Number: 22

Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been searching the internet on this camera and found some close to this model. The ones I have seen on the net which the finder is mounted on the folding board and the cylinder is mounted on the opposite side of the lens. The shutter on my camera has 5 shutter settings (T,B,25,50,and 100) and aperture settings of 4,8,16,32,64, and 128 (I don't know if the settings are the standard f-stops or Mr. Eastman's own aperture settings).

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 108

Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They are standard US Stops. US16 = F16. Count backwards or forewards from that number to get the other FStop equivalents. So US 8 = F11, US 4=F8, US32 = F22, and so on.

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 311

Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear gods, how much depth of field would you get at F128? That must be the equivalent of F64? I thought F30-odd on my Box Brownies was good...

You may just have to look for near-lookalikes, and see what the date is on those. I've got a 1920s Kodak catalogue and it's quite clear that they didn't believe in standardisation in any way, shape or form - there's something like 20 different film formats available... My Kodak mentioned above has a baseboard-mounted finder, so it's certainly the right sort of period.

Mikeguyver
Tinkerer

Post Number: 23

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to put film in the camera. 122 film is available on line for $40.00 per roll (a bit too much for me). Any ideas on how to jury rig a 120 film in the camera without modifying the camera?

Foto_gaga
Tinkerer
Username: Foto_gaga

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, US128 is F45.

Sure the old trick is to use something like empty sewing thread spools (or similar actually) to take up the space above/below the roll of 120 film and cut a mask to fill in the excess space at the film plane (as well as giving the film something to lay flat on) Not sure about the red window lining up properly with the number on the film though.

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 312

Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah - got it, I think - so 32=22, 64=32, 128=45 or thereabouts. Anyway, the DoF should be quite something.

There are various websites with pictures of how to make your obsolete camera take 120 - I think it's a case of google old film sizes, eg 116, and get creative with searching the results. I think you will probably need to sacrifice a roll of film and mark the numbers on the paper for 122 yourself, then respool films under that paper. A pain, but probably not much worse than rolling your own 620 once you've done it a couple of times.

Anyway, to give you some inspiration, this is what those old Kodaks are capable of - no fancy lens on mine that I can see, and just the standard shutter with three speeds and three stops.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/sets/72157622746026547/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration