Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon -VS-Minolta have a chance to pi... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Canon -VS-Minolta have a chance to pick up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bobehud
Tinkerer
Username: Bobehud

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two Canon's an Ft ql/Ftb clc or a pair of Minolta's SRT101 and SRT201..
Both are just bodies i have lens ,both are about the same price-65 for the pair of Canon's and 70 for the pair of Minolta's both pair are in EC.
Just needing some input from anyone who have used these wonderful all metal beauty's..

Thanks

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 50

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have/had all those. In my opinion, you will have to flip a coin to make the decision.

Bobehud
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm the coin flip thing i had already..lol..I have read everything i could on both pairs and they get rave reviews..all have the same features.Rugged,well built,before the age of plastic and throw away consumer goods..
Okay now im down to seeing which one has the best glass,well the best glass i own.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 223

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Each of those models have their own strengths and weaknesses. I like the full information viewfinder in the SRT's, but the standard of engineering in the FTb is better, lots of hardened steel. Probably FD glass has the edge on Rokkor.
Take a look at Konica T3, good solid construction and pretty good glass too, up there with FD and Nikkor, imho.

Bobehud
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Im leaning towards the Canons at this point.Did a LOT of reading have handled all the cameras.All of them speak to an age of precision made cameras..they are all classics..One gentleman needed a few things taken care of on his car there may be away to end up with all four...how the he*# did i end up collecting 35mm cameras..?

Bobehud
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

okay ended up with all four the Canons needed a little cleaning and resealing fixed that and all work great.
I now have an FT -2 FTb's an AE1- an- A1 and a T90..

again hobbies just sneak up on you..does an EOS 7E count as a collector camera as well..?...lol

Leesobing
Tinkerer
Username: Leesobing

Post Number: 62

Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Both of them i like it .But I perfer minolta.
1)Minolta is left camrea making.
2)I can using Seagull lens which is using MD mount too.Than mean I can found New old stock lens.
3)I am minolta AF camera user I like Minolta's lens style.
Canon FTb er...FD mount lens is hard to found if Canon made. Even 3rd factory most of them has funger which need to clear .
The disadvantage,both of them using 625 Mercury cell for Meter. The Cell hard to found now.For Collection that is no big problem.

Bobehud
Tinkerer

Post Number: 17

Posted on Friday, September 03, 2010 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are batteries that work but after shooting a few test rolls out of each it seems that the current batteries cause about a full stop underexposure which is very easy to compensate for.Once i was aware of that i shot a roll of Ektar in each camera and was truly amazed at the clarity and sharpness that these old metal cameras could still achieve.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration