Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Date of production for my Canonet QL17 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Date of production for my Canonet QL17 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jaesun
Tinkerer
Username: Jaesun

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I rediscovered a Canonet QL17 sitting in the basement, and I went through google to get more information which led me to this forum. I did some research and followed up with questions for my parents. My mom thinks that she got it in Japan at the airport in 1980. But I'm guessing that it was much much earlier. Probably around 1970. Interesting part is that if it was produced and purchased around that time by my father, he was in Vietnam up until early 1972. He has no idea if it's the same camera. To him, a camera is a camera, plus he rarely takes photos anyway. It doesn't surprise him that he probably bought a camera while he was in Vietnam during the war and it's been sitting in the basement all this time.

Instead of describing it, here are the photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jasonlee74/CanonQL17?authkey=Gv1sRgCMW1i6v85NKS0gE&f eat=directlink

I'm guessing that it's a QL17 new or QL17-L because it's not made in taiwan and lack of a battery check light. The case is also made in Japan. The serial number on the back plate is 580613.

Any ideas?

Just a quick checklist of things that are wrong with it: deteriorated foam, dead battery (slight corrosion but didn't leak), front glass is cracked, and the rewind crank is missing. Who knows what else is wrong with it. Most of the damage probably came from the mid 80s when my brothers and I used to play with it as a prop.

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 111

Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 04:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This link may be of some help Jason:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/DATECODE.HTM

Richard

Jaesun
Tinkerer
Username: Jaesun

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmmm... So what do I have to take apart in the Canonet QL17 to get to this number? I can't find it anywhere.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 236

Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it's any comfort to you, I looked under a 200 watt light and can't find a number stamped in my Canonet QL17 film chamber at all, not even behind the pressure plate. Maybe they weren't marked the same way.

Francis_otto
Tinkerer
Username: Francis_otto

Post Number: 39

Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just looked in the film-chamber (where the cassette goes!)of a captive Canonet GIII-QL (made in Taiwan) and found the code, 'P1023'. In my case, it's printed in a purply-indigo ink and looks as though it might fairly easily be rubbed off (I haven't tried)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration