Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Voightlander Brillant Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Voightlander Brillant « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harry_bee
Tinkerer
Username: Harry_bee

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK so this is going to be a bit embarrassing.. I've just picked up a cheap Brillant. From googling, it looks like a much later model than I have seen elsewhere, with a bakelite body, 1/175 top speed and Vaskar 1:4.5 / 75mm lens, non coupled focussing. The thing is, I have never run a roll of 120 film through a camera before and this one seems to have some in it - an 'x' in the red window - is that the end of the film? The counter on the side, before I accidentally reset it, was reading six shots. I assume that is half way through a roll but the only winder on the side turns fairly freely. Should I open the back in a bag and see if there is a film in there? Sorry. Still on 101 with this stuff...

Reborn7
Tinkerer
Username: Reborn7

Post Number: 36

Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 07:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't see why you would open the camera in a bag especially when you never used a 120 film before.
There is no point in trying to save the film, and opening the camera in full light is far more educational !
As far as I know there is no end of film mark (X) indication on the backing paper of a 120 film, I suppose that the 'x' you see means that there is no film inside and that the camera had 6 dry run shots.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 237

Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If there's an X in the red window, why not wind to see if it moves? Either a number will appear or not, so what do you lose except maybe a shot? It's better than opening it.

Harry_bee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys - I've been storing up old films from various 'rescue' camera for my inevitably doomed to failure attempt at home developing, hence the wariness about opening the Voigtlander (Apologies for typo, double embarrassment). The counter isn't going forward Mndean, so I guess I'll just pop it open..

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 238

Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If nothing is moving, I don't see much point in not opening it.

P.S. I've developed found film - it's a lot of fun, and I managed to raise images from most of the rolls.

Harry_bee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks again for that. No film! Oh well, it was worth checking. I think it was just a surprise to see the counter at six, and I have ruined films before being too blasé about this stuff! The machine looks fairly tidy so I will run something through it soon and report back.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration