Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Another mystery item Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Another mystery item « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 162

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have another mystery item that I received with some other equipment. The original owner could not remember what it was for.
It came in a small case with Fuji on it. I don't think it is that old, but it must be for a 35mm camera as the dimensions are exactly those of the film gate on a 35mm camera.
My first thought was that it was some sort of mask to change the aspect ratio of the image. However, when fitting it into the film gate, it either interferes with the shutter or the film itself (at least on the cameras I have tried).
Any ideas?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 856

Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How long is a piece of string?

You do not state what dimensions are exactly the 35mm frame size - if your 'mask' has an internal rectangular aperture equal to a 35mm frame and thus a much larger overall size, then I suspect that this could be part of a 35mm adapter kit for a medium format TLR. If the external dimensions are equal to the 35mm frame, what are the dimensions of the internal rectangle - because in this case the 'mask' could be for reducing the frame size on a SPECIFIC camera that will produce dual negative formats, ie full and half frame on 35mm.

On the other hand it may just be the image mask from an open framed, eye level 'sports finder' - very popular in the early days of rangefinders with small, dim optical viewfinders. I have one that has interchangeable image masks for 21/35/50/90mm lenses.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 163

Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The outside, overall dimensions are the same as a 35mm film gate. It cannot fit vertically in the gate, so I don't think it is to convert to a half frame. It is much too small to be for a medium format. It is made of plastic and the case is marked "Fuji" rather than "Fujica", so I don't think it is for an older rangefinder.
And I just realized that I forgot to post the images in my original post!
fuji1
fuji2

Greyscale
Tinkerer
Username: Greyscale

Post Number: 19

Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It might be a mask for a Polaroid back.

Leesobing
Tinkerer
Username: Leesobing

Post Number: 66

Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it may be Panorama equipment for fuji TX1/2 or FUJI 120 camera using 135 film as like as Mamiya 7II
[img]http://www.digitalrev.com/en/images/detail/mamiya_7_II135adapter_d.jpg[/img]
so I Guess it for 120 or Panorama with 135 film

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I now know what this is.
It is a panorama adapter for an slr or other 35mm camera.
I recently saw a very similar item for sale as a Minolta panorama adapter.
I have no idea what model it will fit however.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration