Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Voigtlander Ultramatic vs Ultramatic CS Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Voigtlander Ultramatic vs Ultramatic CS « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 184

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently read somewhere that the CS version of this camera was more mechanically reliable than the earlier, non-CS version. Can anyone confirm this?
I am interested in the Ultramatic, but don't really what to inherit mechanical problems (I've worked on a couple of Bessamatics, so I've come close to suicide). I prefer the look of the earlier camera.

Brett
Tinkerer
Username: Brett

Post Number: 10

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2011 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

According to one of the Matanle books the CS was an improvement but exact reasons why this is the case are not discussed. Being a later model one would hope the manufacturer would have made improvements. Personally I prefer the looks of the CS myself but I have not done the Ultramatic trip yet being pre-occupied with Contaflice lately. I do have an original model Bessamatic I had to tweak when it arrived and which continues to perform well and which I've run a dozen or so rolls through.
Regards,
Brett

Thomas_mann
Tinkerer
Username: Thomas_mann

Post Number: 11

Posted on Monday, June 27, 2011 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Waynemel
The Ultramatic CS dropped the instant return mirror feature of the early version, which it seems had taken the engineering a step beyond the comfort zone. This appears to have made all the difference to the reliability. I've never had a problem with my CS, although the meter battery requires a workaround as the mercury types it was designed for are unavailable. If you have the correct lens it can be set to choose the correct aperture, rather like the 'A' setting on Pentax KA mount cameras.
The Ultramatic seems much heavier and bulkier than the Bessamatic, too. The rare last model Bessamatic with CS meter is probably the one to have!
regards
Thomas Mann

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration