Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Slide film help Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Slide film help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David_ritchie
Tinkerer
Username: David_ritchie

Post Number: 69

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to travel quite a lot in my job, now more than 20 years ago, and shot Ektachrome slide film ,ASA 64 (at ASA80)to bring home and show to family and friends.I have completely lost track of what is available that I could use instead of the Ektrachrome. I guess a Fuji film would be the answer, maybe with a 100-200 ASA rating.Today I shoot maily candids, but I would like to have a decent slide film for use occasionly. I do not need a "professional" grade, just something "good". Do any of you who still shoot slides have a suggestion? Incidently,last week I pulled out some slides (Ektrachrome) shot in Latin America 30 years ago and was really saddened to see how badly they had aged.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 241

Posted on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The last Kodachromes were processed in November. The latest Ektrachromes are an improvement on the Kodak stuff from 10 years ago that tended to give a flat pastel result. Fuji Velvia 100 asa is tops if you like vibrant and brilliant, some would say exaggerated, colours. For my money Fuji Sensia 100 asa is a good compromise between cost and performance, just expose it at about 120 asa.

David_ritchie
Tinkerer

Post Number: 70

Posted on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Gez.This is the type of info I was looking for. In looking for the Sensia 100 on the net, I see Sensia RA also. What does this mean? Thanks

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 05:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rebadged Kodak material from the chemist's turned out to be on par with the latest Ektachrome, but my preference clearly goes to Fuji (Sensia/ S. RA/ Velvia)

Ageing of slide film is a very different matter altogether: how precisely did the processing lab stick to the standards? What are storage conditions like? Glass or no glass frames? etc.

David_ritchie
Tinkerer

Post Number: 71

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neuberger, thanks for you coments. I am well aware that my slides were not storesd in an optimum way, but I had no idea that they would get so bad. I plan to buy some Fuji Sensia, but still would like to understand the meaning of the letters RA etc following the name Sensia. Can you or someone enlighten me? Thanks

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 10

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 02:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Honestly, I have no idea about the RA, but that does not worry me in any way, as usual this appears to be just another instance of a publicity gimmick. Somewhere on the net I read that the film can handle a greater contrast ratio, so it could mean "Range Advanced", provided thet the E for extendended was no longer free to use. In fact, I do all the testing myself. I find any of Fuji's slide film very similar to the excellent yesteryear's Ektachrome line of film 100/200/400 of which the latter could be pushed during development to reach ASA 800. Especially Sensia 100 easily manages all critical situations and produces brilliant slides even in very critical situations. I usually use it with the meter set to 125.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 247

Posted on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Supposedly (of course who knows for sure yet) the newer E6 films will last longer than your (and my) old Ektachromes. I think there was at least some improvement even a long time ago. The Ektachromes I took in the early 60's, despite what I thought was pretty good storage, are awful, but I have come across a number of boxes of E slides my grandmother took in the mid to late 60's that have held up fairly well.

One of my favorite Fuji slide films is Provia 100. It's similar to Sensia, but supposedly a pro version, perhaps a bit tighter quality control and storage, etc. Whatever, I like the look. Velvia 100 and 100F are all right too, but the 100F is a bit odd in the greens, and I like Sensia/Provia more in spring. Velvia 100 without the F is ok when all is right, but under severe exposure conditions it seems to wander toward magenta hues. Here in Vermont, I like Velvia 100F for winter and "stick season" when shades of brown dominate. It is great with earth tones, and very sharp. But for all purpose slides, I'm migrating toward Provia. The film market can be odd, and I've found that at places like B&H, you may get a better deal on Provia than Sensia.

My wife likes Velvia 50, which has great, deep color, but I find it a bit dark and hard to scan, and of course it's slow.

I shot some Ektachrome 100 and 200 a few years ago and it was all right. I was not very impressed with the Elite Chrome, which is supposedly basically to Ektachrome as Sensia is to Provia, the amateur version of the same stuff. I found it rather drab and coarse. For that quality, you'll do better to shoot a good pro-level print film and gain some speed and latitude.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 212

Posted on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From the Data Sheet on the Fujifilm website I see that RA seems to be the Fuji code for the Sensia 100. Sensia 200 is RM and Sensia 400 is RH.
Have a look at the datasheet here:
http://www.fujifilmusa.com/shared/bin/AF3-150E_Sensia100_Data_Sheet_2003.pdf

On page 4 you find a drawing of a film strip where the codes are explained. Fuji calls the "RA" "Film Designation"

Hope it helps.
Happy New Year from Austria

David_ritchie
Tinkerer

Post Number: 72

Posted on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone, you have been very helpful. I guess that there are still a lot of people who shoot slides. My great days of travel to Latin America and the Asia Paciffic are over but I still miss the opportunity of having the show and tell slide shows upon my return from many trips to these areas.I will still shoot a few slides based on the help that all of you have given. Again, thanks

Thuggins
Tinkerer
Username: Thuggins

Post Number: 44

Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ectachrome is still made as 100G and 100VS. VS gives wonderful, realistic, warm, saturated colors. G is great if you want accurate skin tone and subdued colors. Fuji's new 400X Provia is great if you need the speed, and can be pushed two stops. The color is very sharp, but of course, it has the characteristic Fuji blue cast.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration