Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Thank you! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Thank you! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sonicslp
Tinkerer
Username: Sonicslp

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been a quiet lurker over the last week or so and I've referred to this site a lot to gather information for a recent repair job.

I'm a confessed filmoholic (I use digital for my day job) and I have a serious problem of not being able to pass up a good deal on an old film camera when we cross paths. I still carry an EOS630 on a daily basis (I just can't seem to break up with her) and even have a Rebel G in my glove compartment with a 50mm always connected. I recently acquired one of my old favorites, the Canonet QL17 G-III. I bought it off a kid for $30. So far, I've only had to clean it up (re-lube, rangefinder, etc.) and replace the light seals. I would have bought a seal kit from one of the members here, but I found his ebay info after I had already started.

At any rate, I thought I'd post up a few photos of the Camera for those who appreciate these old dogs as much as I do:

Before paint touchup and new seals:
http://www.shaneparkerphoto.com/photo/canon/ql17_03.jpg

After paint touchup and new seals:
http://www.shaneparkerphoto.com/photo/canon/ql17_04.jpg

Look how perty this little thing is:
http://www.shaneparkerphoto.com/photo/canon/ql17_05.jpg

http://www.shaneparkerphoto.com/photo/canon/ql17_06.jpg

Anyway, thanks again for unknowingly helping me out! I look forward to restoring more of these as my addiction continues :~)

Sonicslp
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and I do have one question for you fine folks that I have yet to find the answer to.

The shutter speed ring on the front of the lens is VERY tough to move. I've turned it back and forth quite a bit and it isn't loosening up. Any tips on loosening it up a bit?

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice looking camera, and gorgeous photos.
I too am just finishing up on my own QL17 (it also looks like I have the same caliper as you). I will next be replacing the leatherette, maybe in a green or red.
My shutter speed ring is also on the stiff side, but not enough for me to worry about it.
You may want to try a small drop of lighter fluid and work it back and forth. If that doesn't work, the threaded ring that holds the assembly in place may be too tight. Just guessing though.

Sonicslp
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was very lucky with this camera. The leatherette is in perfect condition and I'm still floored about the glass... there's literally not a mark on it (inside or out). It's amazing how well these things hold up considering the amount of moving parts and what they [usually] go through. I think I fell into a sample that sat on a shelf for a couple decades.

Thanks for the tip on the ring, I'm not sure if I'm super comfortable using the lighter fluid method, but I will if it gets too hard to turn. Right now, I've only been switching between about 3 different speeds, so it's not too bad. I don't even know if 1/500 works.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A single drop of lighter fluid behind the ring shouldn't be a problem.
If the ring is really tight, don't force it. It could be tight because of dirt, or it may actually be a mechanism in the shutter that is binding. If it is the latter, you don't want to run the risk of applying too much force and bending or breaking something.
My camera is also in excellent condition. I am replacing the leather because I had to remove it in order to replace a wire inside the camera. If you ever get the urge to replace the leather on a Canonet, think twice! The glue they used is very difficult to remove! The leather came off in small pieces. It took me longer to remove the old leather than to dissassemble the camera, replace the wire and reassemble.

Sonicslp
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll give the lighter fluid a try over the weekend. And thanks for the tips on the leather, I hope I never have to rip it off.

FYI, when not in use, I've been keeping the aperture ring at f16 just to keep it closed down as much as possible (kind of afraid of light leak) and to keep it out of auto. Would keeping it in auto drain the battery faster than keeping it in one of the manual apertures?

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you may be right. If the camera is in Auto, the meter is on. Either take it off of auto like you are doing, or use a lens cap.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration