Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Hi I am new Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Hi I am new « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lemon
Tinkerer
Username: Lemon

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 07:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all. This is Lemon from Australia.

I am an amateur of box camera. Recently I saw some lovely vintage box cameras in a second-hand market so would like to buy one or maybe two, get it fixed, and shoot some photos with it.

It will be great if I could learn how to identify if a vintage box camera is in good condition (at least it can be fixed) or not. In the second-hand market I picked up a vintage box camera and checked. It was something look like a Brownie No2 Model E.

The viewfinders are quick clear but got some dust/ dark spot around the edge of glass. The shutter and controller sounds fine (At least I could see the shutter shuts when I pressed the button.). The lens looks a little bit blur and got some scratch on it. The light leaking problem should be fixed easily if there is any, so I am not worry about it. But for the rest... I am not sure.

Could somebody teach me how to check a vintage box camera? Or is there any information on Internet that I could learn? Thank you so much for your time.

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 124

Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Box cameras never fail. The shutter is a disk with a hole in it and a spring to spin it. The lens is a single piece of glass. Just get one that uses 120 film and clean the lens.

Beamascope
Tinkerer
Username: Beamascope

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Agreed, if you can find one that uses 120 all the better. The ones that use other film sizes can be converted or adapted but that's only fun if your really into that sort of thing. As long as the lens is clear enough and you hear a noise of any kind when you trip the shutter it will produce some kind of image. The viewfinders will never be too great as they get dirty AND the old mirrors inside lose their coatings. The best thing you could do is buy one or two for cheap and take one of them apart. You'll learn everything you need to know about them in about an hour.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 918

Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Box camera viewfinder mirrors are easily replaced - if one searches the archive you will find many ideas for new mirror materials. These range from cutting pieces from ordinary CD's, salvaging the mirrors from scrap Polaroid SX-70 or the cheap Polaroid point and shoot cameras to purchasing surface coated mirror material from scientific and experimental supply firms such as Edmund Scientific.

Nickkhun23
Tinkerer
Username: Nickkhun23

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I am Nick from USA just join this community need your welcome hope that i ll gain so much from here

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration