Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FTb: which is more durable, ear... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Canon FTb: which is more durable, early or late? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 82

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently I acquired a couple of FTbs. I can't help it, I have a soft spot for 'em. One of them is the early model, and the other is the FTbn. Now, I've always prefered the "n" for its refinements over the original. But yesterday I was giving them both a thorough cleaning, which involved removing both the top and bottom covers so I could clean out all the film chips, etc, from the bottom and the crud out of the viewfinders.

What I noticed pretty quickly was a few of the parts under the bottom plate were different. In one case, the early one has a brass gear with a peg that rotates against a lever, and the later one's is nylon. Another piece that's sort of inset into the floor and rotates with the crank, and I really don't know what it is, seems to be made out of metal with th original and black plastic with the "n" model. I spotted a couple other, more minor, differences too.

I've owned a few FTbns and they've always been stone-cold reliable, so I'm thinking it might be moot point, and really I'm just curious more than anything else, but I wonder if folks who have worked on a lot of them over the years might have concluded that the early one is the more reliable of the two?

I was thinking about selling the early one and keeping the "n", but now I think I'll go ahead and hang onto it. It's in a bit nicer cosmetic condition than the "n" anyway.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 910

Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The take up mechanism on the 'n' model is definitely suspect under heavy use. We used the 'n' as a general handout camera kit for all our on site staff, had around twenty of the bodies which got fairly heavy use. Over a period of six years two particularly ham fisted staff members buggered up five bodies - all broken take up mechanisms.

I have a couple of early FTb's to which I have fitted the later plastic tipped wind on lever - I prefer this lever and the mod is very simple.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 278

Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 04:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't noticed any differences in reliability of the two models, although the first curtain brake pad in 'N' version seems to detach more often than in the original model. What lets both versions down is the inadequate protection of the prism surface from the retaining bracket and cushioning foam. The small plastic cover lets the corrosive products of degraded foam attack the prism paint and coating. Other manufacturers were superior in this regard.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 85

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just had the FTbn apart a few days ago, and the prism is almost completely enshrouded by a thin sheet of plastic, cut to fit the outer contours of the prism. It's held in place by a metal bracket, which is held in place by two screws. Between the metal bracket and the plastic covering is a cushion of foam material. Other than the foam for the mirror, that is the only foam I came across under the camera's top cover.

Another FTbn I own, when it arrived, there was gunk smeared all over the focusing screen that had come from a decaying mirror cushion. I thought I was going to have to open it up, and remove the prism and the focusing screen to clean it. Turns out though that all I had to do was gently wipe the focusing screen with a Q-tip dipped in denatured alcohol, which instantly disolved the gunk. I ended up with a very clear and clean looking focusing screen.

I mention this just to state that the gunk from the mirror pad probably wont be able to get up inside past the focusing screen anyway.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration