Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleicopi Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Rolleicopi « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sander1981
Tinkerer
Username: Sander1981

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 03:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear all,

I have a grey Rolleicord with a Rolleicopi 'extension piece' and a large polaroid back that has been collecting dust for almost 20 years now. All is in working condition, not mint. I googled it, and it seems that there is not much information about these camera's, only that they were made for photographing ossciloscopes and that they have a very short focus (which doesn't make sense in the case of my camera, shortest focus is .9 meters).
Does anyone have more information about my camera? Can I still use the standard back, which I also have, or will all photos be out of focus? I'd love to learn more about the history of these camera's.

Best,

Sander
The Netherlands

Rolleicord
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 911

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The very short focus comes about because with the Polaroid back fitted, the lens to film distance is much greater than when the normal back is fitted. The Rolleicopi is fitted to compensate for the increased distance and allow the scope screen to be viewed properly and correct focus obtained. Nothing on the actual camera was altered, distance scale and shutter etc were unmodified. If you fit the standard back and load a film you will have a normal Rolleicord in your hands

These cameras are rare beasts - originally produced for and marketed by Phillips to photograph the cathode ray traces on their scopes, versions of the kit were sold in the 1950's (presumably by Rollei) for 'macro' photography.

There is enough information on the internet for you to build a working knowledge of these cameras. A Google search for 'Rolleicopi' is a good starting point.

For a quick potted history try the following link -

http://www.freelists.org/post/rollei_list/Rolleicord-Vb-type-Phillips-and-Polaro id-CloseUp-versions-PHOTOS

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration