Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Appreciation Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Appreciation « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Edward8
Tinkerer
Username: Edward8

Post Number: 60

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Old School's posts here are an inspiration. Many cheers.

+++

It's cold here in country Australia. Minus 0. Black frost. A brass monkey has a snow-flake's chance of survival. The wife has a laptop computer. It coughed and died.

Then. Sun broke through the cloud cover. The dogs (boxers) emerged from under the doonas. Yawned and farted. All good.

So. I then dug out the Nikon F2 from its crypt. It was pretty much frozen. Asleep. The mirror would not flip. The slow speeds did not work.

Using the powerful rays of the sun, I warmed the camera. It slowly came to life as its lubricants warmed up. First, I did 125th. Then the kerr-lunck of 30th. Then, one second. Then, the self timer. Beautiful.

+++

The problem is: The meter works, but can it be trusted? And there's no bloody face recognition or scene modes! I ask you, how can one carry on under such difficult circumstances?

+++

To be boring for a moment: Mechanical cameras require work.

The best light meter is: The back of the hand. Plus the understanding of light.

Cheers. Edward.

So, I then

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 111

Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 07:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For your sake, I hope summer ends soon!

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 89

Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to keep an old 35mm Perfex Speed Candid under the seat of my car, just in case... It always worked, even though the ergonomics favored a long finger coming out of the side of one hand, and the focal plane shutter sounded like someone slamming a chain-link gate. Problem was, in the winter my film often froze and would break when I tried to wind it through.
Sorry to hear about your troubles with temperature down there... It's been warm here in Iowa, USA. I suspect the planet has tilted a bit in relation to the sun, subjecting us northerners to a higher angle of sunlight. The problem should eventually resolve itself.
Marty

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 89

Posted on Friday, June 24, 2011 - 05:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

E:
Glad to hear someone is paying attention. I have been taught to swap information as much as posible & there is a lot of missinformation out there to get you in trouble. Keep warm down under & don't fall off the planet while the earth is tilted & that Al guy says the planet is warming up. Minus zero is not that bad, you should see what the Canadian's send us in NorthEast, Ohio, USA.

The Best Mike....

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration