Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Please help identify inherited camera... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Please help identify inherited cameras please ! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cameracollect
Tinkerer
Username: Cameracollect

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would aprpeciate help please !
I inherited four cameras and I dont know anything about them. How can I find out the age and value of them ?
they are all with their own leather cases)

1.King (german made)
2 Petri
3 Carbine
4 Agfa
5 Zeiss compura rapid novar amastigmat
are these companies still in existence ? Can I contact them ? would anyone be able to identify any of from their photos ?
Thanks very much. I welcome contact from you !

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 255

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 07:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

if you post some pics there will a lot of people here in the forum who are able to help.
None of the above mentioned companies produce cameras anymore.
Zeiss still exist and known as a producer of high quality optical electronic items, among those e.g. lenses for cameras. Agfa also seems to exist still but there are no photo activities anymore that I'm aware off.
So please show us pics that would make things easier.
Regards
Martin

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 78

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 07:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two sources for assistance come to mind.

Collectiblend has an option for photos of cameras that can help identify them and
camera-wiki.org also contains an alphabetical listing.

There are a lot of Petri, Agfa and Zeiss models to search through. I am not knowledgeable of King or Carbine.

I don't know if contacting the companies would do much good but finding user groups would yield a lot of information, as well as starting with good old google.

I really like the Zeiss cameras. The compur rapid is a good shutter and the novar is a triplet lens, but mine is a surpisingly sharp lens compared to other triplets.

Zeiss often has a number on the camera body similar in format to "517/16". This is their model number and google/camera wiki will provide information on it.

Agfa often uses names like "speedex" or "isolette" to identify their models, which are then easy to chase down.

If you link to, or post photos, the folks on this forum will get them identified.

Good luck

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 257

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Zeiss model number is embossed in the leather and sometimes people miss it. Novar anastigmat is a triplet lens and Compur Rapid is the earlier pre-flash version of the Synchro-Compur. Petri was a Japanese camera maker, and as Denny said they made many models. Agfa you can look at as the German version of Kodak, lots of excellent cameras, even more box and plastic ones. Carbine I think would be Ensign, a British camera. King is the one I've not heard of, but they seemed to be known for their Regula line of cameras.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 947

Posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 04:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A simple Google search will bring up plenty of pictures of many models of camera with the above names - enough information for even the tyro collector to make a very educated identification.

eg, The Ensign Carbine name covers a number of cameras, made for roll film, produced by the English company Houghton-Butcher Ltd. In the inter war years and especially in the period 1920/30 they were probably the major player in the UK photographic field. One can find illustrations of all the Carbine models and identification is quite simple for this series of cameras.

Eskimogus
Tinkerer
Username: Eskimogus

Post Number: 14

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who ever said Zeiss doesn't make camera's anymore?

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/zeiss-.html

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 263

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 04:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You mean that one:
quote from the website in the link above:
"The new rangefinder built for Zeiss by Cosina in Japan that takes M-mount lenses,"

;-)
Martin

Leesobing
Tinkerer
Username: Leesobing

Post Number: 72

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 04:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No photos no talk,but can give you some information about them
Petri in a Japanese camera Co.in 60's~80's which mainly produced M42 SlR and Petri 35 clour as big as Rollei 35 and 7S are well know RF camera.

Dgmaley
Tinkerer
Username: Dgmaley

Post Number: 14

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Zeiss does make lenses. Most are big dollar studio television lenses starting at $100,000. There is a small group that hand builds, manual focus, film camera lenses, to order. Basic rule on Zeiss equipment. It's only Zeiss built if it has the words Carl Zeiss on it. Otherwise, it's a fake.

Jeffk
Tinkerer
Username: Jeffk

Post Number: 18

Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not necessarily, my Contax IIIa has a Zeiss-Opton Sonnar, though admittedly every other one of the numerous Zeiss lenses I own is marked either Carl Zeiss, Carl Zeiss Jena, or Carl Zeiss Jena DDR. Opton was apparently a product of some complicated issues with how patents were held, according to http://www.zeisscamera.com/services_overhaul-cIIa-lenses.shtml#OptonProblems.

Dgmaley
Tinkerer
Username: Dgmaley

Post Number: 15

Posted on Friday, October 28, 2011 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff;
What can I say. There's always an exception to every rule. This was instructions given to me from the Zeiss salesman at the NAB convention. I'm suprised how even the old Carl Zeiss is still valued.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration