Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cameras of the Vietnam war Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Cameras of the Vietnam war « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jayd
Tinkerer
Username: Jayd

Post Number: 95

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all
Vietnam was the most photographed war in history and I am trying to identify what cameras were sold to the troops and used. i would also like to establish a place where veterans can post there pictures from Vietnam. If you have information, a camera etc., or pictures please Email me
@ [email protected]
Thank You
Jay

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 163

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jay, if you are a Flickr member you could try a search "vietnam veterans" for a group. I just tried and did find some groups which could be usefull for you like this one :
Vietnam Veterans Things

Succes with your project !

Hans

Eskimogus
Tinkerer
Username: Eskimogus

Post Number: 25

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Usually Photographers used Leica M2s, M3s, and M4s.
Also Nikon F's to Nikomats and Nikkormats

David Hume Kenneraly was a photographer for UPI in Vientam around 1969, Photographed a few years before and after in LA and NY for press, and was President's Ford's Personal Photographer for his years in office.

Check his work out, He actually took alot of photos of Press during those times and you can physically see what they had.

Clay
Tinkerer
Username: Clay

Post Number: 47

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a nice Minolta SR-T101 that was bought by
a buddy at the Subic Bay PX in the Philippines
when he was serving in Vietnam. The camera has seen
a lot of history, wish it could talk.
Best regards,
/Clay

One90guy
Tinkerer
Username: One90guy

Post Number: 11

Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I purchased a rangefinder, but do not remember which one. Sold it and bought a Yashica TL Super. I used mainly slide film, color negative was rarely avalible. All were bought at PX in Chu Lai.

Puderse
Tinkerer
Username: Puderse

Post Number: 60

Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was an Army photographer (84B) from '69-'72. I often wonder if any of my stuff ended up in some file drawer in the national archives somewhere.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 222

Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My oldest brother had a Canon Pellix. Said it didn't scare the bejesus out of his buddies because there was no mirror slap (they were hillhoppers, so always on the edge). He let me take it up in an airplane after he got back so I could take some photos of our hometown. My other older brother I think just had some cheap Kodak, but he didn't take many photos. I myself had a Nikkormat FTn, but didn't spend any time in 'Nam because I was chasing Russkies from a submarine in the Atlantic.

PF

Ron_g
Tinkerer
Username: Ron_g

Post Number: 91

Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 05:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was in during the early '60s but they sent me to Germany instead of 'nam.
I bought my camera in the PX but it was a Voigtlander Vito CL.Ron G

Jayd
Tinkerer
Username: Jayd

Post Number: 96

Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Guys
Jay

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 58

Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 05:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Konica Auto S2 was available at the PX as well, or so I'm told.

Or GIs Picked them up in Japan along the way.

Steelmanintexas
Tinkerer
Username: Steelmanintexas

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My father bought a Petri 7 through the PX (1963 or 4) before going to Vietnam the first time. After it was destroyed he bought a Petri 7s in the PX with a Quantaray flash and tripod for under a $100.00 and it was "mailed to him" at his duty post. While at the PX he looked at Nikons but at twice the price plus lenses he stayed with the easier to use and buy Petri. He always shot slides and we still have lots of them, from Vietnam, Thailand, and Europe and of course from various bases when he was home in the US.

Michael Keith (Mkeith54)
Tinkerer
Username: Mkeith54

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2023 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My camera Vietnam is a Canon F-1 and a Canon Ftql both came with 55mm 1.2 lens and I bought a 200 mm telephoto and a 100mm telephoto.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration