Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

The Fujica ST605II Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » The Fujica ST605II « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thol
Tinkerer
Username: Thol

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 02, 2012 - 05:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HOW I GOT TO FUJICA
Over the years I have bought used cameras and lenses at local shops — usually at low prices. I've checked them out in the usual way before putting my money down. Nevertheless, in a lot of cases something bums-out. Now to the salient case — the Fujica 605II. The only bummer has been ... as can be expected in J-cameras of the era ... light seals. But ....

I fell in love with this camera at first ... ah ... feel. The ergonomic factor is sweet compared to my other huge faves — the Practika series or the Mamiya 1000 DTL, which are a bit like holding a quart milk carton.

I've just hauled this camera out of retirement. I parked it because it had light leak issues, and I have to replace all the light seals. — soon!

GREAT FEATURES
* Any M-42 lens that fits a Pentax or Practika (Goerlitz for example) should fit. But — as it turns out — not the Yashinon.

* On the left side of the screen, you can see a pointer reference for dialing in shutter speed

* Metering is a centering, inter-coupled pointer in the classic mode. t averages the field unlike my favourite meters in the Practika that spot reference a percentage of the target part of the image, or the Mamiya that offers both average and spot at the flick of a botton. (They match my photo style). The Fujica's manual stop down metering system is activated with the meter switch.

* The manual stop-down may not be to everyone's taste, but two things are in its favour. The batts are only being used when you need them. And, the screen is one of the brightest I've used with a very clear Fresnal function in the lens. So, the system is not so much the penalty as in some other marques of the period. In fact, it is somewhat reassuring in a camera with no CLA. having been done. Intercoupling accuracy ... with its cams and gears is not a potential problem

* According to memory, the shutter is one of the smoothest and most pleasant I've used ... (SLRs withstanding) and comparable to Nikon and Contax. Nothing like as comparable to the other amateur SLR's of the period.

* I purchased the Fujinon 1.8/55 lens separately and at a different time. It feels like a solid bit of kit, yet very compact. No plastic. A slight long helical travel, but smooth and precise. If I remember the results, they remind me of my Goerlitz 50 mm. This means polite edges, good depth of field and excellent saturation across the entire field. (Lens designer, the late Herr Goerlitz came to some recognition some years after his death, particularly after a celebrated interview with the widow, Frau Goerlitz.)

In other words, it is a "romantic" lens but with no silly business about it. I have a pretty comprehensive collection of Asahi/Takumar lenses. Very accurate and so on — can't fault them for what they are and what they cost. But I love the German optics, and Yashinon and Fujinon followed ... or more likely preemptively fell into the same sphere. To compare I have not only the Goerlitz, but also Solinar, Novicar and Tessar.

I would like to read any comments or share any experiences and informatin about the ST605 or its "N" series model. Any notes about maintenance and repair would be really appreciated too.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration