Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon Lens FD 50 mm f1.8 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Canon Lens FD 50 mm f1.8 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thol
Tinkerer
Username: Thol

Post Number: 16

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 02:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just won an auction for one of these, and if it is as advertised, the lens should be in perfect condition and in the original box.

I have no idea what this lens is like in terms of optics. If anyone has knowledge of what I can expect, I'd be interested and grateful for any input.

It will fit on a Canon AV-1 — shutter priority. I received it free (as a gift) and it is almost without a mark on it. It came to me with a huge FD 135 mm f2.5 S.C. lens. I could not resist hunting down a 50 mm prime for it.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 986

Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Compared with the other Canon FD 50mm lenses the performance is pretty poor by comparison. Still if you do not expect great definition at max aperture, then the lens will work for you. The best all round 50mm is the nFD 50mm f1.4 and if you get a good one and are into low light photography, the performance of the f1.4 at maximum aperture is miles better than the nFD 50mm f1.2 at f1.2.

Your S. C. 135mm f2.5 lens is capable of producing some good results. However, being only S. C. coated you will have to do a bit of experimentation to ascertain optimum aperture and lighting conditions - otherwise the images can be somewhat flat and seriously lacking in contrast, especially if one uses a lot of colour reversal film.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 147

Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You didn't say which version the lens is, breech mount or newer mount, but the details of lens construction and production run can be found at the Canon museum at canon.com

As for performance, I doubt you would notice a difference between this lens and any other 50mm by Canon.

Thol
Tinkerer
Username: Thol

Post Number: 20

Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is the newer mount, nFD/FDn. S.c. coated. Plastic, I guess and very light. Apparently the same optical elements as in the FL — or very close.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration